Viking China

2tsquared

"kidsguy": "what was the sickness you neded medical help for? On our recent Viking cruisetour 9/11 -9/27 Shanghai to Beijing many people got sick during and after"

After what? What were people getting sick from on YOUR cruise? Any info? We're leaving on that cruise 10/20.......

"kidsguy": "what was the sickness you neded medical help for? On our recent Viking cruisetour 9/11 -9/27 Shanghai to Beijing many people got sick during and after"

After what? What were people getting sick from on YOUR cruise? Any info? We're leaving on that cruise 10/20.......

So are we (check in hotel on 10/21)

"jingjing": where are you leaving from? We're on United 835 from ORD -> PVG. Doesn't seem to be an existing topic for this. I've never done it, but I suppose perhaps one of those "roll call" things is what's appropriate....

the sections of the Viking Century Sun in China are, like any other boat fore and aft. The group I was with were all on floors 4 and 5 forward (approximately 25 cabins) oun the trip from Shanghai to /beijing,17 days, Sept 11-27 with 10 days on the boat.. The majority developed serious upper respiratory problems which were not adequately addressed on the boat, or thererafter, even though it grew in numbers and intensity and continued through the rest of the trip and, for most is still a problem for most, several having been to their hometown doctors for help. More than a third of us coughed all the time for at least 8 days. We all suffered great humidity problems in the cabins, which were responded to by putting dehumidifiers in the cabins which, frankly, didn't correct or improve the situation much, even though we were emptying the full buckets 3-4 times day and night. We think this may have been the primary initiator of the problems. It is also be that that the sickness bugs are in the boat and that some people are more susceptable to them than others. The thermostat in the cabins does not regulate the temperature or humidity. The ships system seems to circulate air generated, sometimes cool but always very humid, elsewhere in the boat. It is quite possible that those traveling in cooler weather may have little or no problems. Certainly being prepared on the flights with meds like Airborne as well as cough drops (although mine liquified on the boat due to the humidity), and any other helpful med you ar your doc think would help. Together we are writing the Viking Executives about our experiences and consequences. I truly hoe it goes well with you and others on your tour. Finally, let me emphasize that staff, itinerary, management is superb, especially, at least, in our case, the permamant guide you are assigned for the whole trip. Hope this is useful.

Yes there were people sick on our tour too (7/21) but mostly from intestinal problems and were only for a day or two. My husband was sick for a 24 hr. period only (Cipro was great) at the end of the trip! I would advise getting a prescription of Cipro from your doctor and some type of nose inhaler. The air on the boat was very humid and like others say the airconditioning was cold but did not remove the humidity. It seemed like people on high floors (we were on 2) had it worse and some had dehumidifiers also. We found leaving the glass door open slightly helped circulate the air and that helped. Viking does not own the boat so I'm not sure they have the final word on anything. Also the air quality in especially Beijing is very poor, we called it smog but they called it humidity! The tour guides that traveled with the groups were great getting medical attention for people. It is not an easy trip, lots of walking and stairs and very long exhausting days, especially in Beijing. I wish we had gone a couple days early just to rest from the 14+ hour trip BUT regardless we absolutely loved it all and would definitely go again!!!! Viking impressed us so much with their organization, hotel selection and quality of all the included tours & shows, plus your personal hearing "box" with extra batteries that is used on tours!!! No excuse for not hearing! Just be prepared and take a "medicine cabinet" just in case! Including a couple tylenol on the airplane to take about an hour before landing in case you are running a slight temp just from being tired. There are temp monitors you walk in front of at the airport and also one at our hotel entrance (Westin). The U.S. airports could learn from the Chinese! GM!;)

I think you may be overestating the problems of the "boat". China is the most polluted place on earth. The air is grey; you can almost feel the particles in the air as you breathe. There were days on our trip, both land and sea (we spent an extra 10 days traveling independently on land), that we could not see more than 500 yards around us.

My husband and I both had respiratory problems when we got home and they lasted for several weeks. This is very, very common to anyone traveling in China who has not built up the immunity needed. I certainly did not think it was a problem with the boat.

take a "medicine cabinet" just in case! Including a couple tylenol on the airplane to take about an hour before landing in case you are running a slight temp just from being tired. There are temp monitors you walk in front of at the airport and also one at our hotel entrance (Westin)

Thanks for the warning.

This is all good information. Thanks to "kidsguy" and "gma1," although I think there's a lot in the idea of "ldove123" when so many people suddenly develop respiratory problems. Much of my reading and research seems to come back to the heavy load of garbage carried in the air in China. Add to this all the walking and exercise placing additional load on the respiratory system.....it's not a good scenario. We're going on the October 20th cruise, and they've got us in a 4th deck room, so we'll see how things go.

We'll do fine, I'm sure. I've done enough previous reading that we've already got our Imodium and Cipro, ready go go. Got our seasonal flu shots this week & too old to worry about H1N1, so we've taken care of the medical prophylaxis about as well as we reasonably can. The rest is take our vitamins, and count on our regular daily regimen at the gym (we've switched over to more treadmill work in the past two months) to help us with all the hiking.

We were on the Beijing to Shanghai trip in May 2008 with a full boat. I am sure it's "luck of the draw" as to illness! As far as I know we only had one person who had gastric problems (after drinking the water from the tap on the boat:eek:). In January 2008 my husband had a myocardial infarction followed by a stent insertion and suffered no ill-effects due to the pollution or physical exertion on the holiday. It was very hot and humid on the river part of the holiday and everything in the room felt very damp but, being Brits, any hot weather is good :D. I travelled with a bucket full of medications but, happily, didn't need to use any - maybe the wine was some sort of protection:o!! You will have a great time.

"jingjing": where are you leaving from? We're on United 835 from ORD -> PVG. Doesn't seem to be an existing topic for this. I've never done it, but I suppose perhaps one of those "roll call" things is what's appropriate....

We are leaving from San Francisco & flying to Hong Kong first for 5 nights before flying to Shanghai on the 21st in the morning.

My husband and I are booked on imperial Jewels of China cruise in October 2010 and are considering taking out the inclusive drinks package for £95pp.

Can anyone give any feedback on this. eg what hours is the bar open? what is the cost of beer/wine etc?

My husband and I are booked on imperial Jewels of China cruise in October 2010 and are considering taking out the inclusive drinks package for £95pp.

Can anyone give any feedback on this. eg what hours is the bar open? what is the cost of beer/wine etc?

Can't remember the prices of the drinks in May 2008 but we both had the drinks package and made good use of it :o:D! The bar in the lounge was open at all times when we were on the boat and was open at night until the last person went to bed. The bar on the sun deck wasn't open much but it was very hot and not that many people sat outside. It was incredible how the staff remembered who had the package and who didn't and your room numbers. Even when we changed rooms on day 3, all the staff knew!!

If I'm correct about the current exchange, we would have bought the drinks package in a second for 95 quid. We were quoted over $700 US (that's for two, which of course is require with all people in the same cabin) which is ludicrous. Our kidneys would be floating most of the time to get our money's worth out of that......

If I'm correct about the current exchange, we would have bought the drinks package in a second for 95 quid. We were quoted over $700 US (that's for two, which of course is require with all people in the same cabin) which is ludicrous. Our kidneys would be floating most of the time to get our money's worth out of that......

I didn't take much notice of the £95 :o. I've just checked back and we paid 2199 yuan each which at today's exchange rate is about £200 per person!! We thought it fairly good value as it did include soft drinks - not just alcoholic drinks.

I just wanted to comment on the luggage weight concern. There were scales in each hotel and on the boat. (bottom shelf of night stand) Also several purchased extra pieces of luggage at the end of the trip since the flight home wasn't as restrictive. Our China inter flights luggage were all collected early and weighed together so who knew! We never saw them until they appeared in the hotel room or cabin! GM!;)

We just got bAck to states. Lugguage on intranet China flights.

Our guide , Iowa was great and said we were his guests and extra lugguage was not a problem We ended up with 3 checked bags, 2 carryons and a silk rug as carry-ons!

:) Yay! Got our documents yesterday for our Nov. 5th Imperial Jewels tour. The package includes some nice red leather luggage tags (one for each of us) -- I'm still not sure what we do with the paper tags that are also included but I guess we'll be informed by our guide once we get there.

It also included $50 vouchers (one for each) as a fuel surcharge refund. Says they can be used for any purchases on the ship. That was a nice surprise. If I ever knew that was coming I forgot in the meantime! That can happen when you book a trip over a year in advance. :p

Almost time to start packing now. I dread that. So many posts here about what kinds of clothes to take are by people who traveled in the summer. I guess for November we should expect temps from the 40s to 60s - on the lower end in Beijing, especially at the Great Wall. I'm hoping a jacket will be warm enough - I don't think I'll be taking a heavier winter coat. Altho' I did read a recommendation to bring (or buy there) gloves and a hat for the Wall.

what was the sickness you neded medical help for? On our recent Viking cruisetour 9/11 -9/27 Shanghai to Beijing many people got sick during and after

Unless you are going to Tibet, the mountain sickness I had will not be a problem - however. the respiratory infection that contributed to my illness was apparently acquired on the boat - I did not know I was even sick. A couple of people did get food-poisoning-ish illnesses in Tibet.

We got ours the middle of last week- but we're going on the Oct. 20th China's Cultural Delights, and we got them at the 2-week point, not 3 weeks as advertised. It's not a problem, except when you get down to those last few weeks.....everything's a problem if you don't have it in hand.

Sparky-

The red paper tags will be needed while in the hotels, etc on your trip.

Your guide will let you know. When we went, David, our guide, had each of us id our luggage once it was brought down from our hotel rooms and before they left the hotel so that there were no issues.

We got ours the middle of last week- but we're going on the Oct. 20th China's Cultural Delights, and we got them at the 2-week point, not 3 weeks as advertised. It's not a problem, except when you get down to those last few weeks.....everything's a problem if you don't have it in hand.

If your talking about documents, we got ours about 2 weeks ago

If your talking about documents, we got ours about 2 weeks ago

Yeah, I didn't specify- it was the Viking dox. Everything in order......not sure how significant most of that stuff is anyhow. The Viking surely have our names and what our status is. At the airport, we'll have the boarding passes we will pre-print off the United web site, and the only ID anyone's interested in is a passport.

Well, the little itinerary booklet is handy.

Sparky-

The red paper tags will be needed while in the hotels, etc on your trip.

Your guide will let you know. When we went, David, our guide, had each of us id our luggage once it was brought down from our hotel rooms and before they left the hotel so that there were no issues.

Debbie,

We just got back Saturday night from Shanghai and we appreciate all your info. We loved the trip and our guide Iowa!

Iowa gave us purple ribbons with our cabin number on them and they handled everything! The advance team was at each airport as we arrived with boarding passes and we never touched luggage!

They allowed us the extra bags (started with 2 ended with 4!) on the flights with no complaints as long as we supported the Chinese Economy with our purchases .... and we did!

Great buys fom the "maybe later" vendors along the river.

Best bargains on gifts & souvenirs at Shibaozhai Temple and Sacred Way! 12 silk scarves for $20 etc.

We stayed at both Westins in July and they were super wonderful, especially the one in Shanghai where we actually had an unblievable suite on 22nd. floor. The premium package people also stayed here but in a different tower. I cannot imagine how great their room must have been! We also stayed at the Golden Flower in Xian which was just ok. You aren't there but 1 night and it was clean with good bathroom and the breakfast buffet was fabulous. We loved it all!!!!! GMA1 :o

gm what is the premium package ?

Archived