Need St Martin info please

baileyboy

Hi -

I posted this on the ports of call, but no responses. Surely someone here has the answers...

1. What are the hours of the market that runs on Wednesday in Marigot? We plan to hit Marigot and a beach. Should we do town first, beach second, or vice versa to avoid crowds at both?

2. Is there a Harley-Davidson store on island? If so, where? Partner needs another Harley shirt (not ;-).

3. Last time we were at Orient Beach, we rented chairs from a bar, which included a drink, and bathroom passes (clean bathrooms, worth the cost). People were very nice and accommodating. Can't remember the name of the place - does anyone know? Or, do most of the bars there do this so it doesn't really matter which we go to?

4. Been to Orient several times - it's beautiful, but can anyone recommend someplace else? Just like to play in the surf, perhaps snorkle, but that's not critical, no need for activities, but not huge fan of crowds, so quieter is better.

Thanks for any help.

bailey

The only one I can give any info on is the beach. We usually go to Orient, but this last (Oct 05) cruise we took a taxi to Dawn Beach on the Dutch side for the morning. They had chairs, a restaurant/bar and umbrellas, so imagine they had a restroom. We only stayed a couple of hours, then caught a taxi back for an afternoon excursion. This wasn't a clothing optional beach.

I heard from a friend that Coki Beach and Coral World was nice, too.

Orient has become soooo crowded lately - we were there last in Nov 04 and it was wall to wall people and shops/huts, bars, etc. Also the building of new realestate condos is booming in that area and traffic can be heavy. I think if you do decide on Orient you will be able to rent chairs at almost anyplace. You might want to ask if they have bathroom facilities first, though.

We always go to Orient Beach and use a place called "Friendly Bar". It's run by a very nice French couple, and the chair, umbrella, first drink, and unlimited restroom tickets are provided. They also have good food at very reasonable prices. Just ask for Ludwig, he is the one who usually sets us up. You can recognize him by his long blond hair, DW says he looks just like Fabio. Wonder if that's why she always wants to go back there? :rolleyes:

thanks...

I think Coki/Coral world are in St. Thomas, but thanks for the input on Dawn & the current state of Orient. Guess I'm not surprised it has changed (too). too bad about that.

Thanks also for Friendly Bar info.

Anyone else?

We just got back off of the Caribbean Princess and loved her.

One of our stops was St Marteen. We took a tour with Joyce Prince -- LOVE HER. We drove thru Marigot but didnt really stop long. Same with Orient Beach. Did more sight seeing than swimming on this port.

YES They do have a Harley Shop. They have one on St Thomas as well. The one in St Marteen had a better selection. We too are lacking in shirts from HD (BIG NOT) The HOG shop is on the Dutch side so you can stop by there on your way to the beach.

Karen

We just got back off of the Caribbean Princess and loved her.

One of our stops was St Marteen. We took a tour with Joyce Prince -- LOVE HER. We drove thru Marigot but didnt really stop long. Same with Orient Beach. Did more sight seeing than swimming on this port.

YES They do have a Harley Shop. They have one on St Thomas as well. The one in St Marteen had a better selection. We too are lacking in shirts from HD (BIG NOT) The HOG shop is on the Dutch side so you can stop by there on your way to the beach.

Karen

You are probably right about Coki/Coral World being in St Tom. Sorry!

If you are interested in a really pretty beach with a coral reef and good snorkeling (and chairs and restrooms) in St Tom, try Sapphire Beach. It is beautiful -- when in St Tom we did a private group tour thru Godfrey's Tours with 18 from our roll call on CC. We saw the island highlights, shopped and ate lunch downtown, and spent the entire afternoon at Sapphire Beach. With 18 of us $25 covered each person's share of the cost of the tour and included a nice tip for the driver. Godfrey will do a tour for $20, but it is not private.

We were sorry to see how Orient had changed, too. It used to be a no-brainer as to what we would do when in St Maarten. This past time I wasn't with my husband but a niece, so could not even consider going to the nude beach. I'll try to find the other beach alternatives that have been posted on CC over time, I may have kept notes somewhere - and if I find them I'll post it here.

brianandkaren - I lol at your harley shirt comment. Guess we're both in good company. :)

In St. Thomas, we're going to St. John. Every time I go to St. Thomas, I swear i'm going to St. John, and we've never made it. This time, I swear, St. John!

Still looking for the hours of the market in Marigot... anyone?

Thanks.

I am almost (85%) positive that Joyce said that the French side closes early on Wednesday. I know Wednesday is market day on the Dutch side, but something makes it stick out that the French side closes early on Wednesdays. I would go there first just to be safe.

Hi -

Been to Orient several times - it's beautiful, but can anyone recommend someplace else? Just like to play in the surf, perhaps snorkle, but that's not critical, no need for activities, but not huge fan of crowds, so quieter is better.

Thanks for any help.

bailey

We were in St. Maarten last week on the Golden Princess & wanted a quiet, not-crowded beach that was not too far from where our ship was docked in Philipsburg. We wanted to be able to go back to the ship for lunch & to change, then go shopping in Philipsburg. We took a taxi to Divi Little Bay ($8.00 for 2 people) that was a small but beautiful beach with fantastic amenities & we were almost the only people on the beach. Chair & umbrella rentals were $5.00 each, & the restrooms were gorgeous & very clean. There is a restaurant & bar & shops at the resort & they welcome cruise people. We spent a wonderful morning there & left about 1:00, had lunch back on the ship, & walked into town for some great shopping. All in all, it was a perfect day. I highly recommend it.

I was unable to find any notes on St Maarten beaches - I have heard of DIVI beach though, maybe from the St M board. It sounds nice and good info to know.

Sheffie - we did the America's Cup regatta this time, too - it is awesome, isn't it?

I did find this saved info from someone on this board in 2003 so can't say the info is still correct. But they say the market is open Wed & Sat in Marigot. I'll print the info below, but the link to the restaurant may not work. Reprinted without permission of the OP, hope you don't mind if you see this.

"Marigot is a very charming town. Unlike France, the people are very warm and friendly. There are 2 interesting areas of town. The most common is the "waterfront" area where the ferry to Anguilla departs. There are quite a few high-end French shops along the Rue de la Republique. There is also a new 3-4 level mall right on the water. For SUPER views of the French side, take a little hike up to Fort de Marigot which is on a hill immediately on the right side of the waterfront (as you face the water).

As you proceed toward the left you pass the "market". It's open on wednesdays and saturdays and has all sorts of fresh produce & fish.

Continue west a few blocks to the Port La Royale (or Marina Marigot). Here you will find a very large collection of waterside shops, cafes, bars and vendors. A few of my favorite bistros include: La Belle Epoque (try their fantastic fried chocolate desert), Brasserie de la Gare, and LaCroissanterie. A favorite shop includes Antipodes (for gifts, silk flowers and plants, home decorations, bath and kitchen

accessories). There is also a wonderful shop to get French linens but don't remember the name.

Back Street is a grungy kind of a street full of wholesale merchants who largely sell to shops in other Caribbean Islands. Other than the Post Office and a few banks, it is not frequented by shoppers or tourists.

If you plan to grab a bite in PBurg, I would go to Kangaroo Court (next to the Court House) or for a FANTASTIC lunch, go to L'escargot on Front Street.

L'escargot

For me, I would hurry over to Marigot enjoying the magnificent vistas of Simpson Bay and Simpson Lagoon on the way, then spend the majority of the day at Orient. About 3pm I would take a cab back to PBurg for shopping then return to the boat."

Hope this helps. Have a great day in both St M and St Tom/St John. BTW, we did go to St John on one of our cruises. Took the Captain Nautica snorkel tour thru the ship for $79 (I think) - the transport was fun on an inflatable zodiac with twin engines (FAST) and a small group. Book this excursion early if you want it, it fills fast. They stop at a couple of areas good for snorkeling and then at Honeymoon beach for about an hour. It was loads of fun and we were more relaxed knowing we didn't have to worry about ferry schedules back to the ship.

Archived