February 11, 2017 Birthday Celebration

vge

First time on a Carnival Cruise. Booked then read reviews! Seems everyone says food isn't the best, just returned from China so not too concerned. We have been to Mexican Rivera several times, but wanted to get away for my Birthday. Also first time traveling as just a couple, usually travel with friends. We been married 48 years, so traveling alone should be interesting:). Looking forwarding to meeting new friends

Edited by vge
Spelling

Just curious, what ship did you book?

My recent experience with Carnival is that their food is very very very much improved. There was a period about 3-5 years ago where I felt it was beautifully presented, but didn't taste as good as it looked. They have come a long way.

In the past 3 years we have cruised on NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, and Carnival. My husband and I both work in foodservice support. We both sell products to broadline distributors, so we get into many commercial kitchens every week. You'll never find a cleaner kitchen (galley) than on a ship.

I strongly suggest the dining room with table service, especially for breakfast and dinner. There is nothing like fresh corn beef hash in the morning, every ship does it fresh. Carnival has a great "sea day brunch" in the dining room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carnival has some pretty good dishes here and there. Food is very personal. I certainly found some things I really liked on Carnival, amazing mashed potatoes, great chocolate muffins in the morning, very good sandwiches at the sandwich shop. Overall pretty good. Personally I found if the two carnival ships I have been on, that one was better than the other. Likewise I have done three royal Caribbean and two had fabulous food, one other not good at all. We did the steakhouse and it was really great. I can entirely recommend that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have to agree----we've been on 6 cruise lines and I would rate Carnival's food as good as any we've had, and better than most. If you want 5 star cuisine you'd need a line like Cunard. If you're celebrating a birthday you might want to have a cake delivered to the dining table (only about $10 for a cake that easily serves 8). Similar to the food, we find the celebration cakes (below) VERY good---while not bakery quality. ENJOY!

31206238411_1320143e7d_z.jpg

Seems everyone says food isn't the best, just returned from China so not too concerned.

:D This makes total sense to us. We've spent several years in West Africa, and just booked our first Carnival cruise for our 25th anniversary. When you have a chance to eat something you haven't had in several years, it's going to taste pretty good!

I'm glad other people responding to you seem pretty reassuring on the quality of the food. Have a great birthday celebration!