Goat Cheese Souffle

Bethwte

I've heard raves about this thing forever, and missed it the first time around, since I hadnt found this site until right after my first X cruise. I cannot wait to try it (as I adore chevre), but I have a question. Is it ONLY available in the specialty restaurant? My parents like dining the the main room due to tablemates, and I'm not sure I could pull them away to go with me, and I refuse to go alone.

Oh I wish I'd know last time when we had the penthouse suite (I'm pretty sure we could have gotten them delievered to the room pretty easily in that monsterous room)... lol ;)

I've heard raves about this thing forever, and missed it the first time around, since I hadnt found this site until right after my first X cruise. I cannot wait to try it (as I adore chevre), but I have a question. Is it ONLY available in the specialty restaurant? My parents like dining the the main room due to tablemates, and I'm not sure I could pull them away to go with me, and I refuse to go alone.

Oh I wish I'd know last time when we had the penthouse suite (I'm pretty sure we could have gotten them delievered to the room pretty easily in that monsterous room)... lol ;)

As far as i know it is onloy the specialty restaurant and you have to order it as soon as they start taking your order as it takes 20 min or so to prepare p well worth the wait

You cannot get it in the dining room primarily as it is a made to request item

I am not a huge "fancy" cheese fan. When they brought the cheese cart over (during our meal at Oceanliners), I thought my DH was gonna faint from the ?!?interesting?!? smells wafting over from the aged cheeses. We still laugh about it. So no cheese "snob" here.

I decided to try the goat cheese souffle since I had heard such wonderful reviews on the boards. OMG :eek: it was unbelievable!!! SO GOOD!

We are back on the Connie in January. We will pay $25 each again just so I can get TWO (one mine and one my husbands) souffles! TRUST ME.....YOU NEED TO TRY THIS AT LEAST ONCE. If you don't like it, overnight it to me :D .

Rene

Here's the recipe

Ingredients:

3 large whole egg yolks

3/4 cup whole milk

3 tablespoons of butter

(at this point I'm think of Julia Child who, when asked about some of the more cholesterol-laden specialties she showcased, replied "well, I didn't say to eat it every day" but I digress)

3 tablespoons all purpose flour

2 3 oz logs of soft, fresh goat cheese, crumbled

3/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1/3 of a cup chopped fresh chives

(at this point I'm thinking the $25 cover in the Olympic or SS United States looks like a bargain compared to the cost of the ingredients...)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspon fresly ground pepper

5 large egg whites

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter four 1 1/4 cup souffle dishes. Whisk milk and egg yolks in large bowl. Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir for one minute. Gradually whisk in milk mixture. Continue whisking until thick, about two minutes. Return mixture to bowl. Cool souffle base slightly. Set aside 1/4 cup of goat cheese. Whisk remaining goat cheese, 1/2 cup of Parmesan, chives, salt, and pepper into souffle base. Beat egg whites in another bowl until stiff peaks form but not so much so as to make 'em dry. Fold the whites into the souffle base in three additions. Divide mixture amongst the four buttered dishes. Top with 1/4 cup goat cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan, dividing the mixture equally. Bake until puffed and golden; about 25 minutes. Set souffle dishes on plates and serve.

Note: they serve it plated with a sauce in a ramekin. If anyone knows how to make that sauce, fire away.

(Recipe from the Fall 2004 Captain's Club Departures Magazine.)

Nutritional details not offered; my guess is about 1000 calories each...

You can only get it in the specialty restaurant and no you can't get in the Penthouse, we tried. It's absoultly superb! Thank you Bostom, I asked earlier on this list for the receipt and hear it had been in one of the Captain Club magazine but no one seem to have it.

My partner and I are booked on the 12/3 Zenith sailing and the 9/9/06 Summit. I just looked and the Zenith does not appear to have an alternative restaurant, so I guess we will have to wait until next year to expererience this dish. :(

AHA! I have been looking for this recipe. I have a lb of goat cheese in my fridge that needs a home. Think I found it. Oh and don't let making a souffle scare you. It's not hard at all. One major tip is to NOT let ANY egg yolk into your white at all. I break them one at a time into a seperate bowl, dump out the seperated white into the main bowl and then crack another one. This since I had the displeasure of wasting six eggs once making a chocolate souffle.

Archived