Help - Galaxy Mistake???

landraceem

Oh my.

I hope you don't mind if I chime in here.

I was along with Donna W, Joan (that's pronounced Jo-ann, BTW) and Donna, Justin, Raymond, Sarah, and Yolanda on Galaxy's recent Transatlantic. To say that we collectively had a wonderful time on a wonderful ship would be a drastic understatement.

I will remember my fellow passengers, and the good times spent with them, for many years. It seems that WHO is onboard with you will create a much more lasting impression than the condition of the ship.

I think it's relevant to add that the staff and crew onboard this ship were the apex of hospitality. Smiling faces everywhere, gracious service everywhere. When I'm on vacation, I'll put smiling faces and gracious service at the very top of my wish list.

If you are really considering Silversea, just book a sky suite on Galaxy, order some champagne from room service, and lay out on that huge balcony in that spiffy Celebrity robe, and toast your good fortune, and all the money you saved! It IS your honeymoon, after all!

Kendal

We did 11 nights on Galaxy in September on the eastern med. Itinerary was terrific. I would give the Galaxy a B at best.

The pasta and sushi bars were great but the meals in the main dining room were hit and miss, mostly miss. They would take back the worst and our waiter would always check a few minutes after serving to see that we were satisfied with the nights offering.

The furniture in our cabin was threadbare but we just put towels over them. The common areas were in good shape.

All in all we were somewhat disappointed in our first Celebrity cruise as we had heard it was superior to HAL which we didn't find to be the case.

I felt they always had their hands in your pocket for such things as soda pop which was free on other of our cruises and having you end up on every tour at some store or carpet shop where you received high pressure sales pitches to buy overpriced junk. I think we will pay more in future for a higher end line.

We have a concierge class cabin booked and it looks like I have received a resounding thumbs up on the Galaxy. She seems to be the only Celebrity ship that consistently gets bashed on this board, so I have been nervous about the choice. QUOTE]

Actually, there are several posters that repeatedly bash Century. After their postings, we have cruised on Century, and did not see any of the things that these posters mentioned. If you go back to their original postings, they experienced some problems with flights, and other minor things that allowed them to board these ships with a very negative attitude - and then there are people who are negative in their life's outlook - and find nothing good.

For all of you Transatlantic posters, we were disembarking in Rome when you embarked, except for a number of our CCer's who were doing B2B. [bill and Helen, Jerry and Pam, etc.] We had a great group of CCer's on our 10 day Med cruise on Galaxy.

I did a review and some thought that I was somewhat negative, but I expressed my bias for Century forthright. All in all it was a memorable cruise on Galaxy, with a few exceptions which are minor, she is in great shape. You should have a great honeymoon [and who is looking for some frayed carpet here, or a little blemish there when you should be spending all of your time together - hope you have a comfortable cabin :D].

I guess one of my only major concerns are reports about the condition of the windows in the forward observation area. I've heard various versions of what's happened to them, including loss of seal and subsequent hazing due to moisture on some sort of double pane system. Can anyone elaborate?

Archived