Planning second cruise -- this one with kids! Help me pick the best ship and ports!

andy1

My wife and I took our first cruise in October on the Inspiration. We were thrilled with the trip. Already, we want to plan our next cruise, but want our three kids to travel with us. Two boys, 13 and 7 and one girl, 10. Carnival seems to do a good job with the younger kids, but my children are going to want to hang out with mom and dad often... they (and we) are going to want the flexibility of going to the kids stuff, and then hanging out on their own.

What about rooms? Do the ships have attached rooms with doors between the two? We would like to have the kids in one room with us in another, of course!;) Perhaps even across the hall?

Finally, which ports are the best for kids...? I have been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Also went to Acalpulco on a regular vacation once... Are there any excursions that the kids just HAVE to do?

Let me know what works and what does not work from you experienced people...

Working on this trip for October, 06.

My wife and I took our first cruise in October on the Inspiration. We were thrilled with the trip. Already, we want to plan our next cruise, but want our three kids to travel with us. Two boys, 13 and 7 and one girl, 10. Carnival seems to do a good job with the younger kids, but my children are going to want to hang out with mom and dad often... they (and we) are going to want the flexibility of going to the kids stuff, and then hanging out on their own.

What about rooms? Do the ships have attached rooms with doors between the two? We would like to have the kids in one room with us in another, of course!;) Perhaps even across the hall?

Finally, which ports are the best for kids...? I have been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Also went to Acalpulco on a regular vacation once... Are there any excursions that the kids just HAVE to do?

Pick another date and the kids will have a better chance at meeting other kids and then they will not want you at all.Try the summer or vacation weeks.I have been taking my kids for 9 years now since they were 5 & 7.

Same the money and put them in your cabin(they will feel safer).Any port can be good for kids but leaving them on the ship is even better,if they want to stay.You will see!!! They will love the camps and will not even want to eat dinner.

Steve

Ditto the above. If you want a ship with a lot of family together things to do pay the extra and go Disney. Trust me, we have been on 6 Disney cruises with our Grandchildren. Have also been on other cruise lines solo with DH and these ships might have great kids programs, but I did not see any family oriented programs. Disney is great family vacations. Our oldest Grandson is 11 and he still loves disney. Also the ages of your children would be great for connecting state rooms, but would stay away from across the hall. You can get 2 connecting OV staterooms for less then the CAT4 family room, this is what we do.

When do you want to take them?

October is tough to find kids, they will be there, but if you go in spring or summer you will have a better chance finding kids to play and hang with.

We have a Group going in April on the Triumph which is set up for family and kids! Check it out, they also allow 5 to a cabin on the Triumph!

We go to Jamaica and Dunns River Falls is Great for kids! Caymans are fun with the stingrays and Cozumel well after the hurricane it's anyones guess. But I bet the beaches are going to be great!

Come check ous out we have the cheapest prices out there with a $100 Cabin Credit!

Andy,

Check out RCCL Freedom of the Seas....freedomoftheseas.com. That ship looks awesome. I just took my first Carnival cruise after 3 Royal Carib. cruises and I liked RCCL much better. That is just my opinion.

You can get adjoining rooms but they are the first to go. You would have to put a deposit ( fully refundable) down soon....

We took our kids once in October and there was plenty of kids for them to play with - it was a cruise over Halloween!! Maybe that had something to do with it or the fact that it was when the Paradise was a smoke-free ship - filled with families!! Plus, your kids always have each other as well!!

Disney cruises are supposed to be wonderful from what I have heard - several friends and their families have done many. However, depending on your budget...traveling with three children on a Disney cruise is going to be REALLY expensive. I have checked on it for us. Couldn't justify it for us. (Maybe since your kids are older than mine were at the time that I checked and only wanted one room, you can get a decent price on two rooms!?)

My kids had a GREAT time and loved all the Camp Carnival activities. Good luck making a decision! No matter what you decide, I am sure that they will love it!!

Our first cruise with the kids - then 17, 13, 11 - was on the Carnival Triumph - western caribbean. It was AWESOME. And....we all were in the same inside room. It was FUN :) It definitely sold the kids on cruising - we're going on #9 in Dec. on the Valor.

They loved climing Dunn's River Falls - snorkeling in Cozumel - and the Stingrays in Grand Cayman cannot be missed.

I agree Disney is awesome for family/kids, but I believe it requires a "money tree" - just WAY TOO expensive for us. Your kids are so lucky - they will have a blast...and be prepared...they're going to want to go again...and again....and again :)

I agree with psoting about Disney being expensive for a family of 5.

Carnival older ships do allow 5 people to a cabin. We were able to do 5 to a cabin on the Sensation. (you are not in the cabin all that much- -But price out the difference to see what you do save.

October is a cheap month to cruise-- but its also Hurricane season. THe reason the price is low.

Western Caribbean is the place with lots of choices for kids.

Not going to give only one cruises advice on Ship's, (was NCL Sun) but have done almost the same, loved it so much we are doing almost same ports on Miricle. Dec 4th, a) cheap time and near our school holiday here. b)We have Stingrays a must see with Cave tubing in Belize. Chunkanub in Cozumel was on the list but not this year now. Unless it opens before 15 Dec. as mentioned elsewhere. Have nothing but great reviews on Camp Carnival? C YA enjoy:)

We love the Eastern, with our small children (7 and 9)

St. Maarten and St. Thomas/St. John have the most spectacular beaches. Our kids love just spending the day at the beach!

Unless you kids are Disney fanatics, you may not get your money's worth. I've heard from many that although they had a great time, their expectations were a bit high as was the cost of the cruise. It just wasn't what they thought it would be.

You could probably save almost enough for a second cruise if you choose Carnival over Disney. My kids love Carnival so much, they'd rather take an extra cruise.

They could take or leave all things Disney. My wife and I feel the same way. If we go to Disney World again, great. If not, no big deal.

We cruised with our 3 children the first time in October,2003 on the Carnival Victory. It happened to be sailing on a five day out of Charleston to Nassau and Freeport Bahamas. It was great for their first cruise, our fifth. They were 11, 9 and 5. We had 2 adjoining rooms. It was great! Camp Carnival kept them all busy and happy. We saw them when it was family time. The rest of the time they wanted to be with their new friends. They are hooked now. They have been on the Spirit for 12 days to Hawaii with us also. The Victory had a better program for kids though.

Hope you decide and have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Archived