Need a good book

DAJ

I also LOVED, LOVED, LOVED The Kite Runner. Another fabulous book:

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.

Trust me, you will appreciate your life after reading this.

Also-any of the Alex Cross books by James Patterson.

Marjb36

dbh62ark: I've got the book confessions of a shopaholic in my bookcase, but just haven't started it. Maybe I"ll pick it for January; I never know what to choose and always feel it is such a big responsibility--don't want people to hate it.

I'm always glad when someone starts a thread for book suggestions. I should try to keep a list of all the suggestions somewhere:rolleyes: .

This book is sooooooo good. It will break your heart. When the second in this series came out, "My Friend Leonard", I ran to get it also. You will thank god for novacaine after you finish the book. Enjoy "A Million Little Pieces" and enjoy your cruise AMYR!

dbh62ark: I've got the book confessions of a shopaholic in my bookcase, but just haven't started it. Maybe I"ll pick it for January; I never know what to choose and always feel it is such a big responsibility--don't want people to hate it.
I loved it and laughed so hard. The author is hysterical and has quite an imagination. You know we don't speak "English" here in our country but speak "American", so it's fun to see all the British references. Anyone in your group who has traveled to London will relate to all the references to stores but those who haven't may not if that helps any. There's another book in that series called Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (the books are so funny that I had to read the whole series, and they are very fast reads) that has a lot of references to New York. Two people in my group of 10 thought it was a little shallow but enjoyed reading it anyway. Everyone enjoyed a peek inside the British culture for a change of pace. I think when reading it you have to remember just like you do when watching movies that it's a book so don't try to analyze too hard. It's definitely entertaining.

:) Donna

I loved it and laughed so hard. The author is hysterical and has quite an imagination. You know we don't speak "English" here in our country but speak "American", so it's fun to see all the British references. Anyone in your group who has traveled to London will relate to all the references to stores but those who haven't may not if that helps any. There's another book in that series called Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (the books are so funny that I had to read the whole series, and they are very fast reads) that has a lot of references to New York. Two people in my group of 10 thought it was a little shallow but enjoyed reading it anyway. I think when reading it you have to remember just like you do when watching movies that it's a book so don't try to analyze too hard. It's definitely entertaining. I know what you mean about the responsibility of picking a book because I don't want the others in my group to waste their time; that's the reason I posted the warning about Reading Lolita in Tehran. The member who picked that is still kicking herself, and we tease her about almost killing the book club, but we would never let that happen because we have too much fun. You can probably read a chapter of the Shopaholic book and see if it is for you.

:) Donna

Guys...thanks!! It is obvious that I have been out of touch for some time. With a few exceptions I have never heard of the titles or the authors. What rock have I been under?? Anyway guess I will be spending sometime in the bookstore this weekend before heading off to San Juan. Thanks again!!!

Actually I got this over a year ago, but started reading it on the most recent cruise.

'Who Says Elephants Can't Dance'

A book about the 'saving' of IBM and their chair (at the time) Lou Gerstner.

If you are in business, its a good read.

I'm new to these boards and it's wonderful to find a thread on book recommendations! I've read many of them, but I found several new ones that I'll look for before our cruise in January.

I have a few others to recommend (sorry I don't have the authors for all of them):

Empire Falls and Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo (Nobody's Fool was made into a movie starring Paul Newman in the late 90s); The Time Traveller's Wife; Devil in the White City (about the Chicago World's Fair); and the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (set in Botswana). If anyone is looking for something a little more serious (probably not ideal cruise reading for most people, but interesting nonetheless), Flyboys (about WWII in the Pacific) and Ahmed's War, Ahmed's Peace (Iraq War) are both very interesting non-fiction books that give a bit different slant to the stories than we are used to seeing.

Thanks for everyone else's suggestions... I'm off to Barnes and Noble this afternoon!

I am taking this one with me on my cruise to Hawaii in January. I have heard good things. I got some titles off this thread last week, and went to the library to check them out and I've already read two of the books recommended here.

What's everyone reading these days. Haven't picked up a book in a while so I'm a bit out of touch. Romances are not me and I've done the DaVinci thing (and his others). Crosswords are fine and I'm addicted to SuDoku but that is not for a relaxing cruise. Got two weeks to go. So what's the latest good read??
Anything by Robert K. Tannenbaum

For my last cruise, I read several books that I enjoyed, but I couldn't remember the plot a few hours after I put them down: Sue Grafton, Jonathan Kellerman, etc. I decided that I wanted to remember the cruise I'm taking next week (11/20 Millennium), so I asked around for books that would really stick with me so that when I thought of them, I'd think of the cruise.

I asked around for good suggestions and this is what I'm taking: Reading Lolita in Tehran, Middlesex, Bee Season, and The Mermaid Chair.

Middlesex.

This book is sooooooo good. It will break your heart. When the second in this series came out, "My Friend Leonard", I ran to get it also. You will thank god for novacaine after you finish the book. Enjoy "A Million Little Pieces" and enjoy your cruise AMYR!

Stacey, I'm reading A Million Little Pieces right now...it's wonderful! I'll look for My Friend Leonard for my cruise. There's nothing like a good book...unless it's a good martini...

Karyn

If I were a writer, I would want to be the writer of "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss.

It is definitely not "chick lit". You have to concentrate because the chapters jump around in time and you have to put the story together in your mind. Suddenly all the pieces click into place and you figure it all out.

I'd be anxious to hear what others have thought of this book, so I will watch this thread. It's the kind of book that stays with you for a long time.

It may replace "The Kite Runner" as the best book I have ever read!

Ilene

What's everyone reading these days. Haven't picked up a book in a while so I'm a bit out of touch. Romances are not me and I've done the DaVinci thing (and his others). Crosswords are fine and I'm addicted to SuDoku but that is not for a relaxing cruise. Got two weeks to go. So what's the latest good read??

I have always been able to find something good in the ship's library and it saves on cost and lugging it.But an excellent alternative is the wide array of books sitting unattended"reserving" poolside chairs every morning.

Well part of my decision has been made for me. My sister just left from quick visit and lo and behold she was carrying Skinny Dip by Carl Hiassen (sp?) which she had just conveniently finished. Now for my second choice......

Archived