Thomson Dream,, first time with Thomsons, beds!

Hello, I've just booked to take my mum on the Dream on the Adriatic Explorer cruise in May. I've booked cabin 9038. Can anyone tell me what to expect in general and cabin wise, and are the beds good? I usually take a small travel size memory foam topper for mum to hotels, as you never quite know what the beds will be like, and wonder if I should do so, or if the beds are good? Any advice on life onboard greatly appreciated too! I've only cruised once before on the Ocean Village 2 on honeymoon which was great, and this will be mum's first, at 85!

Hi cruisevirgin66 you have chosen one of the largest outside plus cabins, we have been in 9040, next door, many times and go again in April. We find the beds very comfortable but we like a firm one, we also like the location of these cabins, also love the Adriatic with its lovely ports. If you have any specific questions I will try to help but we like her and all the entertainment is on one deck which should be good for your mom.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

I was down on the lower deck, bed was lovely and firm.

If you are an ex OV2 cruiser, don't be too disappointed when you first get on the ship. There isn't a nice Atrium and very little "wow" factor. The lifts are very slow and the ship is not really suitable for anyone with mobility issues.

Having said that, I had a brilliant holiday and will book again with Thomson. I've been a P&O girls since OV2 went, but will stick with Thomson now. They have the same friendly feeling the OV2 had. The staff on the ship make-up for the lack for glitz and glamor. Food is ok and I liked the main dinning room. My glass was never empty and the service was brilliant.

Hope you have a good holiday.

I was down on the lower deck, bed was lovely and firm.

If you are an ex OV2 cruiser, don't be too disappointed when you first get on the ship. There isn't a nice Atrium and very little "wow" factor. The lifts are very slow and the ship is not really suitable for anyone with mobility issues.

Having said that, I had a brilliant holiday and will book again with Thomson. I've been a P&O girls since OV2 went, but will stick with Thomson now. They have the same friendly feeling the OV2 had. The staff on the ship make-up for the lack for glitz and glamor. Food is ok and I liked the main dinning room. My glass was never empty and the service was brilliant.

Hope you have a good holiday.

I forgot to mention - the swimming pools are sea water.

Thank you both. We wanted something laid back and easygoing, we aren't expecting, or requireing glamour, just an easy week with some pretty sights and little hurry! Mums got a heart condition and going blind and really wants to see Venice again and Dubrovnik, so I think this may be her last holiday. If the beds are firm, I'll take the topper to be on the safe side! Is there a hairdresser/salon on board? Also, pleased with my cabin choice, it looks a bit bigger than some of the others on that deck

I think you will have a wonderful time. I did a similar cruise on OV2 a few times because of the destinations.

I'm not sure how to explain this, but Thomson Dream is an old ship and when I first got on, I wanted to go home, it was like walking into old office building. After about an hour of being on board and talking to the passengers I was really happy, after two weeks, I never wanted to get off.

The crew and passengers are just the best people you can hope to meet. The ship has a great feeling of being friendly and is full of nice people. I really had a great time and wish I was there now.:D

There is a hairdresser and all the normal spa stuff

Edited by Longislandtea

Not sure how you would manage getting a topper within your luggage allowance. I am a picky bed person and found the Dream beds really comfortable. How about asking Thomson if an extra duvet is possible then she can sleep on top of one and under the other?

Dream is a really easy ship to navigate, as said all the entertainment is on one level then down to 4 for the main restaurant or 7 and 11 for the others.

What i would recommend is that if your mum has sight/mobility issues then either you must be prepared to fetch and carry in the buffets or eat in the waiter service Orion. For a pig out breakfast then Sirens is the place and although buffet, once you know her requirements you can get her settled then get the breakfasts in.

I really really miss Sirens!