snorkel equipment

webprinter

We are planning to buy snorkeling equipment before cruising to the Western Caribbean in early Dec. What besides silicone should we look for in a mask. Also what is best for snorkels and fins? We don't want to pay a lot if we will not use them very often, yet we want something decent? Any recommended brands? Thank you. Debby

most important thing is a good fit for the mask, extras like auto purge etc are not neccessary. As far as fins, most divers recommend ones that are adjustable rather than the ones that you put your foot all the way in. A pair of diving socks is also a good idea, to keep your feet from getting scratched up.

You'll do best if you've got a good scuba shop in your area. Let them help you with mask fit and give you some tips. Sportsterjohn is talking about a fin that has a strap on the back and a foot pocket that covers about half of your foot. You'll need a dive bootie with them. The other kind of fin is a "full foot" fin, I've been diving with a full foot fin in warm water for years.

If you know what mask fits you (nothing to do with the price it just depends on the shape of your face). this is a very good online retailer http://www.leisurepro.com/ with good prices

I went to the dive shop in our area but he wasn't any help. He told me to come back when I was ready to buy and that it would cost about $150 to outfit each of us with a mask, snorkel and fins. That would run $450 for all 3 of us, which is more than we can afford. We haven't ever snorkeled before and are afraid we wont like it in which case, we will have spent hundreds of dollars for nothing. We were hoping to keep our costs under $100 each. As far as booties or slippers go, do we need high booties or low booties? Also, what kind of bottom should they have on them. Do we need a dry or semi-dry snorkel? Thanks for all your help. Debby

last year we got a great set at Wal mart with the pruge valve.One of the Military scuba instructors recommended getting a "shorty" have no idea what he was getting at but I can assume it was some kind of clothing.Never wore scuba socks just flippers.Don't get to close to the coral and avoid the floating things that look like condoms:D .they are not ...they a jelly fish and stings can hurt a great deal:eek: ...best remedy is ammonia( after bite works great) if you don't have any try.....urine:eek: ...it is natural and reddily available.

Have a great time...

Archived