Chacchoben Ruins Costa Maya

ArmyEngrWife

For those that have been on this tour with David and Ivan can you tell me if a 4 and 11 year old would do OK? I've read that you shouldn't take kids to the ruins as they would be bored. However this is our first cruise and who knows when we will cruise again or see Mayan Ruins again. Can you suggest anything else to do with kids that age in Costa Maya? Other tour companies? It's a last minute booking if we choose something as we're leaving on the Miracle this Sunday. But if we don't find a tour I'm sure somewhere along the way we'll find something fun to do. Thanks for any suggestions!

Tamara

Your 11yo should do fine if there is an interest in such things. The 4yo may be the problem. Our tour was just a few hours. This may help with the little one. The bus ride is an hour each way. Dare I say nap! I can't speak for the guides you list. We booked through Carnival and just went.

I enjoyed Chacchoben. Having visited Chichen Itza, I can say they are equal. While much smaller, Chacchoben is more personal. The walk is very easy and quietly relaxing. There was no crowd noise and I could hear the guide. I have some photos but here is a good link. Enjoy.

http://www.locogringo.com/past_spotlights/feb2004.cfm

If everyone else is interested in this ruin excursion, then maybe you could leave the little one on the ship with the kids club. We used them in St. Lucia bc our 6 yr. old at the time was not interested in a whole day island tour (6 hrs.) so she asked if she could stay on the ship while we went. I was leary but told her the obvious that once we were gone we were gone and she could not change her mind and that we will be gone a long time. She was very excited and did indeed stay onboard while we went off into the island.

It was a long time but they allowed me to leave her and she was fine but ready to see us when we picked her back up. And there was no charge.

Cruizinrican:)

Tamara, we just toured with Ivan 2 weeks ago. He was absolutely amazing. It was such an experience to go to Chacchoben with him and hear all his stories. I can add to all of the raves that you have seen. He actually brought his son with us on the tour (maybe 10 or 11?). His son was definitely not enjoying the tour, but this was more-or-less his backyard, so I'm sure he's "been there, done that." While I don't know that I would suggest bringing children (if you can leave them on the boat for the Kids camp, that would be your best option), I highly recommend taking the tour. It is well worth the money.

Augustrain

your post is interesting we were with Ivan last Friday and he told us he had 1 daughter a year old and that was it. I loved the tour but there were just a few of us and we got into a very big discussion about family and he told us that was his only child. Whoever he was I am sure it was a bit boring for him at that age.

mommyto2girls - Really?! Then I have mis-spoken! The boy was definitely with Ivan and hung around with Ivan during the tour (except when was bored and disappeared). He definitely was not with any of the guests, maybe he was just a village friend that hitched a ride or a relative?! I don't think I'll ever find out, but at least I know not to refer to him as Ivan's son! :o haha Thanks!

How much is the Carnival shore excursion to Chacchoben? Is there a place to sit down while you are at the ruins or do you stand the entire 3 hours? Thanks!

There are a couple of places at the ruins where you can sit down on a step or on a short wall.

I don't know about the Carnival excursion, we did ours with David.

Archived