Xpedition immunizations & bitey-stingies

poultry_in_motion

We are on 12/4/05 Galapagos sailing. What have past cruisers on this itinerary done RE pre-cruise immunizations? We have heard taking along a prescription of Cipro (for Travelers Diarrhea) is a good idea. Also, we will only be in Quito and the Galapagos, and I understand mosquitoes are not an issue. Is that true? Finally, is it true American money is accepted in Ecuador, so you do not need local currency? Appreciate any help.

We had Hep A shots, you can check the CDC website for other recommendations. The Hep A shots take a while to take effect so if you decide to that one get it done quickly. Malaria is not an issue is Quito or GPS. Pepto could be helpful as a gastro preventer. We had no gastro problems on the trip, your mileage may vary :-) You might want to investigate "altitude sickness" drugs (i.e. Diamox) for Quito.

Ecuador was "dollarized" a few years ago ...

I recommend that you get the combined Hepatitus A & B shots.A month after you get the first one,you get the second.Six months after the first you get the third and last one.It will last for your lifetime.You should have the first two shots before leaving for Ecuador.Strongly agree on the Diamox prescription.I did not have a problem in Quito,but did run into a significant problem in Cusco,Peru which is at 11,000 feet. The Xpedition has hand sanitizers on the landing where you board the ship.No one on our sailing had any GI problems on the ship,but several had problems in Quito because they ate fruits and vegetables in restaurants and stands.The Marriott supplies bottles of water each day.Use it to brush your teeth.The food is the Marriott is safe and very good.The sushi bar in the cocktail is quite good and reasonable.

Enjoy the Xpedition.It is the best ship we've ever been on.The islands and animals are unbelievable.

Archived