Sunshine after RCCL? Many questions!

Hi-

We really like Carnvial, but haven't sailed with them for a bit over three years since we sailed on the Magic- and loved it. We have since done Oasis twice, Harmony most recently, and the NCL Epic and NCL POA. It is so interesting how every line (and really every ship) is so different, and yet we manage to always have fun!

That being said, we are looking for something for Spring Break - and are torn between the Magic and the Sunshine. The Magic would be a repeat, so interested in something new- so are leaning towards the Sunshine. My questions are:

1. How is the food? I think Carnival's food is SO much better than RCCL in my opinion- but how is it on the Sunshine compared to the Carnival fleet?

2. How is the overall "FUN" level for teens? Our kids LOVE the flowrider on RCCL and spend so much time there- so I am wondering what you think teens love most about the Sunshine?

3. How is the vibe? Entertainment good? After having our minds truly blown on the Harmony- curious if anyone has done both and thoughts about sailing it after the Oasis class?

I have read a few reviews, but they are older. Just wanted input from the awesome CC peeps as you all are an amazing source of info!

Thanks in advance!

:D

The most amazing ship my family has ever sailed on was the Allure. Nothing compares to it. However, the dining room food was awful. We love the food on Carnival. My family really wants to sail the Harmony, but I'm in no rush.

We are sailing on the Magic for a second time in 6 months we enjoyed it so much! We have sailed on her sister the Dream and have to say the Magic felt different especially after the 2.0 upgrades which we love. The food was amazing across the board. We really enjoyed the new seaside BBQ and my guys all loved the $3.33 bar food in the Red Frog Pub. My 13 yo loves the CD and his parties in the atrium. He also really enjoyed all the PG comedy shows. My younger guy loved the Dive in movies. Watching Star Wars under the stars was an experience he still talks about. The water park kept them busy all day.

The sunshine felt like a refurbished ship to us. It was ok because we scored an amazing price for it, and we'd only sail her again for a steal. Definitely not our first choice.

You can't go wrong with the Magic.

The most amazing ship my family has ever sailed on was the Allure. Nothing compares to it. However, the dining room food was awful. We love the food on Carnival. My family really wants to sail the Harmony, but I'm in no rush.

We are sailing on the Magic for a second time in 6 months we enjoyed it so much! We have sailed on her sister the Dream and have to say the Magic felt different especially after the 2.0 upgrades which we love. The food was amazing across the board. We really enjoyed the new seaside BBQ and my guys all loved the $3.33 bar food in the Red Frog Pub. My 13 yo loves the CD and his parties in the atrium. He also really enjoyed all the PG comedy shows. My younger guy loved the Dive in movies. Watching Star Wars under the stars was an experience he still talks about. The water park kept them busy all day.

The sunshine felt like a refurbished ship to us. It was ok because we scored an amazing price for it, and we'd only sail her again for a steal. Definitely not our first choice.

You can't go wrong with the Magic.

That is good feedback- I appreciate it! We loved the Magic- and the Sunshine is a great deal with an amazing itinerary- but we don't want to be disappointed. The Harmony, BTW, was super awesome. The entertainment was 10 steps beyond the Oasis and Allure- all new shows, roving piano player, absolutely unbelievable! But food was AWFUL and service was poor. I would wait until the get this kinks out for sure!

That is good feedback- I appreciate it! We loved the Magic- and the Sunshine is a great deal with an amazing itinerary- but we don't want to be disappointed. The Harmony, BTW, was super awesome. The entertainment was 10 steps beyond the Oasis and Allure- all new shows, roving piano player, absolutely unbelievable! But food was AWFUL and service was poor. I would wait until the get this kinks out for sure!

I would sail the Sunshine if the price is good and it's a new to you itinerary. Just have low expectations and you'll have a wonderful time. You cannot compare it any way to RCCL ships. But the CD Jamie was amazing, the food was very good. The ship itself just wasn't anything special. The water park was very nice. My kids are younger so they still really love carnival's waterpark over RCCl's pools and flow-riders.

I hate paying the high price for the Oasis class ships then having to pay for all the restaurants. The total cost is just astonishing compared to what you can get on a carnival ship. Besides, we love how casual Carnival is going. This is the first cruise we didn't dress up for elegant evening and ate off the buffet. We were shocked how good the buffet dinner was, they had almost all the dining room entrees and no crowds. A friend mentioned to me how good the steak off the buffet was and I honestly had doubts. I couldn't believe it was cooked to order with med, well and rare offered on the buffet. And it was delish. We're all for the super casual atmosphere AND delicious food on carnival.

Good advice! I am going to have my family take a vote tonight . . .

I agree- and really the food is nowhere near as good as on Carnival. We have to eat GF- and I swear the best GF pizza I have ever had in my life anywhere was on the Magic. On the Harmony- the MDR was SO bad. Choices were limited, and the food was blah! We ended up spending a fortune on the specialty restaurants and those were not good either. I think some of it was that it was so new they were a mess!

Good advice! I am going to have my family take a vote tonight . . .

I agree- and really the food is nowhere near as good as on Carnival. We have to eat GF- and I swear the best GF pizza I have ever had in my life anywhere was on the Magic. On the Harmony- the MDR was SO bad. Choices were limited, and the food was blah! We ended up spending a fortune on the specialty restaurants and those were not good either. I think some of it was that it was so new they were a mess!

The MDR food on Allure was bad, so we went to the Brazilian Steakhouse since we frequent one on land and it was TERRIBLE. We couldn't eat it and got up and left.