Buying cigerettes on the ship???

Debfife

Just returned from Valor. Like someone said, not all brands are available. I bought several cartons of Marlboro, 2 for $36.95. Comes out to $18.48 a carton, tax free. Sure beats prices in Texas.

Hint: Go to gift shop right after ship sails. Buy 2 if they have your brand & smoke them & put yours from home away. You are only allowed to take one carton off the ship with you.

They are cheaper on the ship, then they are in NC... cartons here are between $22-$24... like Brenda said, they are around $18 on the ship... Depends on where you live, brand, etc. But generally you will find them cheaper.

it really depends on whether you are sailing the eastern

or western itenaries. if i'm not mistaken last year we were

able to bring 5 cartons of cigarettes per person. also I believe

you could buy 5 cartons for $74.95 right on the ship. some

shops had then for 16 a carton but no deals for buying 5

so better to buy on the ship. on the western side only 1

carton per person.

it really depends on whether you are sailing the eastern

or western itenaries. if i'm not mistaken last year we were

able to bring 5 cartons of cigarettes per person. also I believe

you could buy 5 cartons for $74.95 right on the ship. some

shops had then for 16 a carton but no deals for buying 5

so better to buy on the ship. on the western side only 1

carton per person.

Correct, the duty free allowance is higher if you make a stop in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Duty-Free Allowance:

Ship itineraries that include any of the U.S. Virgin Islands: St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John.

$1200 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.

Note: of the $1200, no more than $600 can be purchased outside the U.S. Virgin Islands or on board.

5 liters of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: 1 liter of alcohol must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands.

5 cartons of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes each (18 years or older). Note: 4 cartons of cigarettes must be purchased in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

100 non-Cuban cigars (18 years or older).

Duty-Free Allowance:

All other ship itineraries.

$800 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.

1 liter of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: On certain itineraries, an additional liter may be purchased.

1 carton of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes (18 years or older).

100 non-Cuban cigars (18 years or older).

You may only be able to bring 1 carton back, but they sure will sell them to you in 4's! They are sooo much cheaper onboard. I regret not buying more. I smoke Marlboro ultra lights 100's and they had them. In December I don't even plan on bringing any from home!

I agree about not having a great variety of brands. No ship nor port I've been to has ever had my brand (Capri Menthol 120s - $35 here), so I've been out of luck.:o Marlboro seems to be the least expensive I've seen. Better take your own if you're not sure what will be available!

I agree about not having a great variety of brands. No ship nor port I've been to has ever had my brand (Capri Menthol 120s - $35 here), so I've been out of luck.:o Marlboro seems to be the least expensive I've seen. Better take your own if you're not sure what will be available!

Same here Cotton. I smoke Virginia Slims Menthol Lights and have yet to find them on a cruise. In fact, it is hard to find menthol at all.

We just returned from a cruise and our baggage never made it :eek: and I was all set with plenty of cigarettes (in my bag). I ended up just buying by the pack at the pool bar and made do with Salems. Bad part was that when we returned to the Miami airport - no one in that airport carried my brand either. It was a long week!

FYI just check where they are made, lots of US brands made in Europe.

OMG! :eek: Maybe that's why the cigarettes were so bad. If anyone read my Miracle review I made a comment about the cigarettes we bought on the ship being so bad I could hardly smoke them. As a matter of fact, they were so bad I made good on my committment to quit smoking two days early! I smoked Marlboro Lights and my DH said the same thing about the reds.

and what happens if your brand is not available??? Ouch--i can only imagine the nicotine withdrawal until you get to the next port.

LOL I know...but I'm not too picky. If they don't have the ultra lights they usually have the lights. Or another brand. I'll live. For the cheaper price, I will be just fine. :D Unless they don't have ANY cigarettes, then I'll turn into superbitch!:eek:

Archived