Phone & wifi on Breakaway to Bermuda

Dumplynn

What is the best way to make phone calls and access email and voice mail while cruising on the Breakaway to Bermuda? Unfortunately, my work follows me wherever I go. I will have to check voice mails and emails at least once a day and return calls and respond to emails. On my last cruise on the Breakaway in 2015 the wifi connection was horrible. Has it improved? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you for the response but I'm sure you know that's not what I had in mind. I was hoping someone with experience staying in touch while cruising to Bermuda might have advice that wouldn't cost me the fortune that it would cost to use my phone. I did a some online research and I am wondering about Telestial? Has anyone used them or any other similar company while cruising?

No one can tell you the best way unless we know your carrier

If it's Verizon they dont have a cruise ship plan any longer so onboard its pay as you go

Regardless since you need to keep it touch just buy the unlimited ships wifi and use it whenever you need too for online work and messages

If you want to make an actual phone call from sea you will pay $1.79 a minute with Verizon

In Bermuda you can get the $10 a day unlimited package talk/text/data. That is only when on land though

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the response but I'm sure you know that's not what I had in mind. I was hoping someone with experience staying in touch while cruising to Bermuda might have advice that wouldn't cost me the fortune that it would cost to use my phone. I did a some online research and I am wondering about Telestial? Has anyone used them or any other similar company while cruising?

I certainly had no way of guessing what else you were trying find out about.

You might've asked about finding the cheapest method or maybe the least expensive or maybe a wild guess as to what it would cost. Or maybe about reliability. But you didn't ask about these things.

No one can tell you the best way unless we know your carrier

If it's Verizon they dont have a cruise ship plan any longer so onboard its pay as you go

Regardless since you need to keep it touch just buy the unlimited ships wifi and use it whenever you need too for online work and messages

If you want to make an actual phone call from sea you will pay $1.79 a minute with Verizon

In Bermuda you can get the $10 a day unlimited package talk/text/data. That is only when on land though

Thanks for the info. I have AT&T. I looked on their website but didn't find anything.

Thanks for the info. I have AT&T. I looked on their website but didn't find anything.

Call their cust service. Speak to a human and call back the next day to reconfirm what you were told is correct

Fwiw I think you will need ships wifi for work stuff and use of your cell when you need to make calls

You could do FaceTime audio or some other program like that for voice calls but it's not going to work if you need to dial a landline....as in calling your office

If you wait until land in Bermuda for your phone calls you will find it cheaper as your carrier no doubt has a reasonably priced plan

On the ship it's ships wifi for work purposes online....and your cell phone for calls. Hopefully at & t has a shipboard plan

Verizon had a great one but no longer

From what I've gathered the deals the ships had with the cell companies for reasonably priced shipboard cell calls has changed drastically and many have been eliminated

What is the best way to make phone calls and access email and voice mail while cruising on the Breakaway to Bermuda? Unfortunately, my work follows me wherever I go. I will have to check voice mails and emails at least once a day and return calls and respond to emails. On my last cruise on the Breakaway in 2015 the wifi connection was horrible. Has it improved? Any advice would be appreciated!

The best way?

Well you don't have much choice here...

Either you use the ships wifi for Internet access and perhaps download a voice app

Or

You use your cell for calls and data .....but only after you have called your carrier for price and stressed to the untrained rep that answers your call that you are on a cruise and a land vacay all in one. Then call back 2 more times until you get the same info twice.

In Bermuda you use the ports wifi if you really want the hassle of doing that and wasting time

And you call your carrier and see what sort of deal they have for calls and data using your cell in Bermuda

Remember using data and making calls are very different when at sea and when on land

However...since this is work related...

Either your boss reimburses you

Or

If you are the boss you deduct the costs as a business expense

Oh and the ba wifi works fine but at 2 pm on a sea day it will be a lot slower than at 2 am

Sent from my iPad using Forums