winter water temperatures

bogforce

That seems a little low, at least compared to my water temps in Cozumel last year. The temps I got were in the 77 to 80 range in December. I would expect temps a little lower in Feb.

Considering I've never dove in Cozumel, I was going off a friend's report when she was there 2 years ago in January. She wrote in her log book that the water was 74 degrees. Perhaps she wrote it down wrong?

Considering I've never dove in Cozumel, I was going off a friend's report when she was there 2 years ago in January. She wrote in her log book that the water was 74 degrees. Perhaps she wrote it down wrong?

Never dived Cozumel? You really are missing some good diving.

It is possible that she did encounter lower temperatures, plus if you factor in the possible difference in dive computer temperature measurement, her 74 could be right. That would be way too cold for me in a 3mm, burrr.

Check out this site for Mariner information. http://www.sailwx.info/sitemap.html

Click the Sailwx.info: Weather for Mariners link, then the Weather Observations - water termpertures, Once you find the water tempertures, click on any location in the map and you get better visibility. The temps are in Celsius, but if I remember my high school science; multiply the Celsius number by nine, divide by 5, and add 32 to the result. At the time I write this, water temps in the Bahamas area was about 82. Temperatures will vary depending on the month and location you will be diving and there is quite a large differential between locations and time.

Happy bubbles.

Never dived Cozumel? You really are missing some good diving.

It is possible that she did encounter lower temperatures, plus if you factor in the possible difference in dive computer temperature measurement, her 74 could be right. That would be way too cold for me in a 3mm, burrr.

Yeah, I keep hearing about the diving in Cozumel, but haven't made it there yet. We keep getting side-tracked to go other places, so I guess it's fair to say that Cozumel hasn't been a priority for us.

We're headed to Belize for a week on the Nekton Pilot in a month, and even with the water close to 80 degrees, I'm planning to wear my 5mm full.

We're headed to Belize for a week on the Nekton Pilot in a month, and even with the water close to 80 degrees, I'm planning to wear my 5mm full.
Lucky you. I wish I could do that, but with my non-diving spouse, it isn't likely to happen. Good choice on the 5mm. Don't forget your beanie too ;)

I've dove in Coz a lot. In the winter I've noticed surface temps around 75-80 and bottom temps around 82. For some reason it has been warmer at the bottom. When in Coz, the most protection I will wear is a 3mm shortie. My wife wears a skin. We've never been cold diving in the ocean. Now, the cenotes are a different issue

Archived