Overwhelmed by all the extras

When we took our kids on a cruise leaving from fll we drove. It was part of the fun of the trip. We also are from Chicago and you can do the trip in about 20 hours. Just make sure you book a hotel ahead of time in Chatanooga or early in Georgia. We didn't and they had a convention that week and we couldn't get a hotel. We ended up driving straight thru. Not good. But we did have 4 drivers so that helped. Good luck and have fun.;)

DH and I have cruised before but never with the kids. We want to take them on a cruise for spring break 2006. Older DD will be graduating high school and this may be the last family vacation. We booked a balcony cabin on the Norwegian Jewel. Now I'm having a hard time finding reasonable airfare. Also need passports, trip insurance, want to fly in the night before so we need hotel and transportation and of course shore excursions. It's adding up to be way more than we planned. :eek: Any money saving suggestions would be appreciated!

How about downgrading that balcony. Moving to an inside or oceanview would probably pay for all those things. ;)

I know exactly what you mean. Seems whenever we can travel it is the "peak" time. Airfares from Michigan to florida are usually reasonable and sometimes cheap except when I want to go! It is a reality of supply and demand. Demand is high so supply is low and they charge more.

So it is a LLLOOOONNNGGGG drive if you choose that (and I especially agree with the writer who said book the Chatanooga ahead of time...we got stuck driving straight through last trip too). A crazy alternative that may not be so bad as it initially sounds is that you can go to a less "peak" airport for that period. For example it may be half the price to fly to Atlanta and rent a car and drive from there. Look you have to rent a car anyway, why not just for a little further drive. Personally I've never done it but in desperate times (like when airfars are $400 per person and Atlant is $160...not that bad of a drive).

I've actually looked at the Charleston cruises since it is 14 hours from here. I am still stuck in the UNDECIDED column because of the same reasons you posted. Good luck.

I noticed in your post it said you need passports! They have changed the mandatory passport rule for another year I have heard! Unless you are travelling to a cerntain area that requires a passport, you may want to find out if you definitely need one! I know here in Canada a passport is $80+ per person! So you may wnat to ask some of the experts on this forum! Hope this helps you out some!

Take food for airport departure day picnic while waiting to board. Keep in collapsible cooler that you will also use on ship will save tons of $ with teens i.e. several foot long sub sandwiches, couple cans of pringles,bag of cookies paperplates,and a 12 pk of sodas from home refridgerator was nothing when compared to the $70 eating airport food.

Collapsible cooler can be used in port for beach picnics as a family can easily drop over a $100 on an average lunch (Some ports are Very expensive i.e. $32. for a tuna sandwich in Grand Cayman.)Order sandwiches from room service (bring ziplock bags) and ice down sodas and water that you brought on board to take into port

Avoid spa treatments, art auctions and bingo. When 1000 people are paying $20 a card to win a $100 that might have to be divided 3 ways (do the math- is it worth it?) Usually I will set a maximum limit of what my children may charge for the week on their ship card and once that is done they are on their own- but I have seen young kids run up hundreds on their parents cards.Set limits.

Plan on budgeting for at least a few cruise photos that you select near the end of the cruise when you have time to compare. IMHO the ones on formal nights look best as how often does your family get dressed up and an 8x 10 of that is the same price as the 8 x 10 goofy pictures with the pirate or standing on the gangway.

Do your research on cruise critic and you will save money on shore excursions with independent operators-as compared with booking the ship tours.

Bring lots of singles for miscellaneous tipping. If all you have is a $5 when room service is delivered your not likely to get change-

When shopping in some ports negotiating is part of the game. Bargain down and use only cash- if they know you have a charge card they are less inclined to deal.

Do your homework on these boards and don't get conned. i.e hair braiders who say they charge $2 a braid (should be 20-25 for the whole head ) and then put tons of braids in expecting you to pay $100+after the job is done. Don't waste vacation time on this. If some of your group is inclined,get it done before you go at local salon- $40 or a beauty college $20.

Buy disposable underwater cameras for about $8 at Walmart/Target vs. $32 on ship.

Bring basic meds/toiletries with you- Tylenol,Bonine,or ginger root, Pepto, sunburn ointment, to avoid infirmary costs for what you can treat yourself.

Bring cheapy beach towels from home. Most cruiselines will charge $25-30 for a lost towel. Sitting poolside it is very easy for someone to accidently pick yours up, have it blow off the chair or kids may accidently leave it someplace. Not that $30 will break anyone but it does put a damper on things.

Make a detailed packing list- the things we take for granted are expensive in ports- Last year my daughter forgot a hair scrunchy for a ponytail. Normally 3 for $1. In Cozumel they wanted $12.95 for one.In ST. Thomas they wanted $12. for 2 double A batteries we needed for a walkman. Kids thought twice when I wouldn't pay that price and they didnt want to part with their spending money.

Hope these ideas help- Have a great cruise and hope it gives you a lifetime of memories

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for all of the tips. My planning is coming along and everything is falling into place. I booked air out of Milwaukee, much closer to home than Chicago. I paid a little bit more than I wanted but I got N/S flights on Midwest to FLL. We are leaving early morning on the day the cruise departs. I'm not too worried about travel delays because we are leaving early and the flight is non-stop. We won't have to spend money on a hotel the night before. We will definitely pack food for the flight, no meal is served.

I found a decent price on trip insurance on insuremytrip.com.

We booked a town car for transportation from airport to pier and back. Less expensive for four than the cruise line transfers and much more convenient.

I spent a lot of time on the ports of call board and found great tours at all of our ports for much less money than the ship's shore excursions and I think that they will be more fun.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Archived