Coral Breeze 11/10/05 review

Raceroc

We booked with Coral Breeze several months before our trip on the Carnival Miracle 11/06/05. Booking online was simple.

We went down to the tender location early and was told to wait on deck two until after Carnival excursions got off. So we waited with several other groups (not a long wait). Once we were able to get on the tender we rode the speedy boats into port (about 15 minutes). It started raining before we arrived at the port... we all tried to squish under the shelter. Once we arrived at pier 4 we only took a few steps to the Coral Breeze meeting place. We were early but a rep from Coral Breeze met us, took our remaining balance and said we would leave about 45 minutes late because a Royal Caribbean ship just arrived and They had a group going with us. There are a few nice bars and restaurants in the area. We (my wife) Shopped. When we came back and the Royal Caribbean folks were there and ready to go. About 18-20 people were split into two groups. Everyone from the Miracle went with one guide...except us. We were with the Royal Caribbean group. Turned out GREAT! Our guide "JR" had to be the best guide Coral Breeze had!! And the folks on the Royal Carib ship were great as well.

We boarded a large air conditioned van and set off. "JR" told us allot about the city, culture, plants...etc. He was very informative. The trip was about 1 hour. seven miles of it was on a dirt road that was VERY bumpy!!!

But it was fun!

We finally arrived at the tubing location. We were allowed to change our clothes, take a Bathroom break and get ready. Our stuff was locked in the van before leaving for the caves.

No flip flops or sandals were allowed. Water shoes or tennis shoes only. They did rent water shoes for $3.00 if needed. We signed a piece of paper and received our head lights. The paper said we were responsible for the light and if was lost. It would cost $20 to replace. We did take a small spray bottle of deet with us, but the mosquitoes were not to bad.

Off we went for a couple of minute walk before arriving at the river. We crossed the river (about waist deep) hanging on to the tube with one hand and the rope with the other ("JR" had his tube and two others that belonged to the younger children). The water was cold and pretty hard flowing. One woman dropped her waterproof camera and "JR" dove into the water with three tubes, swam down stream and rescued the camera...WOW!

Very nice half hour hike up to the location that we entered the water. The trail was slick with mud from all the rain. Went into a couple of walking caves and spotted a few small bats. We also made several stops to learn about the plants, bugs and animals. We past by the Carnival group of about 60 people getting in the water about 3/4 up the trail (they only go through one cave). As we arrived near the end of the trail it started raining real hard. We had no choice but to wear a life vest because of the hard current.

We stepped into the water (did not jump off a cliff, maybe because of the current) locked into pairs and off we went. The water was cold, but it felt fine after a few seconds. Maybe it wasn't such a shock because we were already wet from the rain. We slowly went down stream into the first cave. We stayed closely together as a group and "JR" pointed out interesting formations. He collected us together a couple of times to turn off the lights and see how dark it was. I took lots of pictures (digital camera with waterproof case). We came out of the first cave, the rain had stopped and the weather was nice. We flowed into the second cave. "JR" would rush ahead at some points to catch people from hitting the sides or underwater rocks. At some points the water moved pretty fast and we had to do "BUTTS UP". The water speed was never scary for anyone in the group. At the end of the river we jumped off our tubes and were at the location with the rope that we crossed earlier.

We hiked back to the camp area, Showered and changed, then met in a small open air restaurant for a very tasty chicken and rice lunch. They also had a pay bar for beer and spirits. Don't drink too much because the road is just as long and bumpy when you leave. As "JR" took us back he told us a little more about the area, then dropped us off at the pier (worth every penny, including the large tip he received). We did more shopping before getting on the tender for the ship.

Coral Breeze was awesome, Try to get "JR" as your guide.

GO CAVE TUBING!!! I would highly recommend it and will go again!

Sorry about the long post...I ramble on sometimes.

If you have any questions...Feel free to ask.

it's Shirley from the Enchantment. Glad to hear you made your tender and had time to shop. We really enjoyed this too. BTW, I'm the one who dropped my camera :o and JR got a really big tip from us too! We loved our cruise so much, we are doing it again next November and are thinking of doing a snorkeling trip with Coral Breeze. Take care!

Hey Shirley, We had such a GREAT time. Maybe we will see you next year. :D

That would be great. We are planning to do the same cruise for our anniversary next year since we had a fabulous time. I'm looking at doing one of the snorkeling excursions next year, either shark ray alley (again) or the manatee reserve with the beach break.

I'll be getting my pics back on Friday or Saturday--I'll let you know how they turn out.

Take care.

Archived