Mt Obama/Boggy Peak or Monk's Hill???? (HIKE HELP)

schul296

We would like to do some sort of hike in Antigua & then also spend some time at Nelson's Dockyard & English Harbor.

Has anyone hiked Mt Obama (Boggy Peak) or Monk's Hill? Which has better views? What is distance/time for each? Can they be done without a tour guide & just get a taxi to drive us there?

TIA!!

I did Mount Obama (was in Antigua for a couple of weeks, not off a cruise ship). I drove half way up and as the road got steeper and rougher, I parked the car and walked. Glad I did. The road gets real steep and real narrow so if you met anything coming the other way - highly unlikely - there would be an interesting discussion. In fact, a car would not make it to the top - you need a four-wheel drive. Half way up there is a large notice which says "Only authorized personnel beyond this point". Ignore that, I was told all the locals do. However, the top has a large fenced-off area for a communications centre which makes it difficult to move around and get a view although I did get some nice pics of Jolly Harbour in the distance. I had the place all to myself and never met another soul all afternoon. All in all, I can't really recommend it and I doubt very much if any taxi would take you there. If you did do it, you certainly would not have time for anything else. Don't know anything about Monk's Hill.

Thank you for the detailed insight!

I think we are going to head to Galleon Beach & hike Shirley Heights for the lookout; and then head over to Nelson's Dockyard; Middle Ground Trail & end up at Pigeon Beach instead.

Some activity but not all day in one area.