Review of ATV Jungle & Beach Tour

cherub44

We were on the Nov 6. - Nov. 13 sailing of the Explorer. We had this excursion planned in Costa Maya and our group started with 18 people. When we got to the ATV's (a 2 minute walk from the pier) the guide announced that because of the flooding from hurricane Wilma we would not be going into the jungle. Instead we would be taking an alternate route on a sandy road. Immediately 2 couples started throwing a fit and wanted their money back, which they got. I thought they were being very petty, but it was probably better we didn't have to listen to them complain the whole time.

After putting on our helmets and giving us some instructions we were on our way. We road a short way through town to get to the sandy road which was along the beach. We couldn't really see the ocean very well in some parts, but the views we did get were nice. We rode to the area where we would have normally gone into the jungle and he showed us how bad it was and why we couldn't go there. Then he showed us a termite next and said they eat them for protein. To prove it he ate some! :eek: Yuk!

After we left that area we went a little further along the sand road. The guide saw a monkey climbing through the trees so he stopped and pointed it out. We got the camera out just in time to get a shot of the monkey sitting on top of one of the trees. Very cool. After about 45 minutes of riding we turned around and went back. When we got about 3/4 of the way back we stopped at a beach, and they gave us a bottle of water. He said we would have 1 1/2 hours here (a little longer than normal). There were a couple of souvenir stands, shaded tables, water chairs to sit in, a little restaurant, and you could rent wave runners for $45 per 1/2 hour. That was the cheapest price we found for a wave runner the entire cruise.

DH & I rented a wave runner and my mom rented another. They had a boat that guided us out quite a ways from the shore. We let loose and had a blast. The waves were pretty choppy though and after about 25 minutes of salt water being splashed in our faces we had enough. We almost didn't rent the wave runners because we thought they were still expensive. I am SO glad we did. It was one of the most fun things we did on the cruise.

After relaxing some more at the beach we got back on the ATV's for the 5-10 ride back. We got some pictures of us in the sexy helmets, tipped our tour guide, and went back to the ship for a shower and some lunch. The tour started at 8a (ship time) and lasted for about 3 hours. I highly recommend this tour for people that are into ATV's or that kind of thing at all. We had a really good time and it was my husbands favorite activity of the cruise. My parents who are in their late 40's-early 50's went with us and had a great time also.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Yes we booked it through RCI for $96 per person. I don't know the name of the beach, he never told us and it wasn't what I would call popular. There were only about 5 people there besides our group. It was about 10 minutes from the pier.

Yes we booked it through RCI for $96 per person. I don't know the name of the beach, he never told us and it wasn't what I would call popular. There were only about 5 people there besides our group. It was about 10 minutes from the pier.

Cool! Thanks.

That's a great price for the wave runners!! They are $60.00 on GC & $55.00 on Cozumel.

Can anyone go to that beach? Was it far from the port?

It was about 10 minutes from the pier by ATV. If I were your taxi driver I could get you there easily, but of course I don't know road names or the name of the beach. You may be able to find a taxi driver that would know how to get there just by the description. :confused:

This was just a simple beach, no hotels nearby, it was off a sandy road (there were cars driving on this road), there was a restaurant, a few covered tables, a small pier where they had a couple waverunners and a couple boats. It looked like there was a group going on a snorkeling excursion from here. It was south of the port and we did have to go a short distance on the one paved asphalt road there. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. :o

Archived