Barrier Reef Snorkeling and Beach (Bannister Caye) from NCL Sun

zydecocruiser

Taken while on Nov 6, 2005 sailing of the Sun. The early morning tour sold out and they added a second one that left at noonish. Price was $69 and lasted about 3 1/2 hours.

There was a good assortment of live coral at the snorkel location, but not a lot of fish. They said we would snorkel for 45 minutes, but it was more like 30. Snorkel vests were required, but you didn't have to inflate. You did not have to play follow the leader, but were sort of herded into a somewhat confined area by the tour company. They used kayaks to keep an eye on the snorkelers and would politely tell me (several times) that I was out of bounds. Oh well. ;)

I will preface with I'm not a beach person, but Bannister Caye did not appeal much to me - perhaps to others it would. The included rum punch on the catamaran was good enough for me - make sure they float some additional rum on top!

The pharmacy at the tender dock doesn't have generic Tamiflu, but may in about 6 months.

share_header.gif

Zdzwy6F4Y3-8u7Qj6TYrzrbVlOsff48800A0.jpg

zydecocruiser is presenting

zbelize - zy - 2005

(164 pictures)

share_button_view_album.gif

Click on the link above to view the pictures in this album. As the recipient, you can download, re-share and order prints and merchandise containing these pictures. Please do not use the owner's pictures in an unexpected way.

If you are having trouble seeing the View Album button above, copy and paste the link below into your browser. http://pictures.aol.com/ap/viewShare.do?shareInfo=esv4e%2b9w77l1NZ4g0g5ICRg7K02VcgiP0P6ykdfaGPBWGd%2bBXiXp6w%3d%3d

Did you take this tour with the ship's excursions or a private company ? We are doing the Bannister Island excursion through Coral Breeze. It includes a Manatee preserve, snorkeling the reef and beach time. Each stop is short, but the ship isn't there that long, so it's understandable. How was the water for snorkeling ? Was it pretty smooth or did you find yourself fighting a current and waves ?

I went through the ship. Didn't feel like loosing sleep to stand in line for tender tickets. This trip left directly from the ship and returned us directly to the ship. No tendering :)

If Coral Breeze takes you to the same snorkeling area, the water was fine. Also the depth was maybe 15 feet, so you weren't going to accidently brush against the coral. A different area than the shark ray tours go to and one that I liked better.

No snorkeling an Bannister. You could, but you won't see anything in the designated swimming area. I did find the employees on Bannister to be friendly and not pushy at all.

Don't know anything about the manatees.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Zydecruiser

Do you know the name of the tour you took? I know a tour that takes 65 ft catamarans to Turneffe Reef and Bannister Caye, but I think they have more snorkeling time: www.belize-paradise.com

Ian

Looks like the same boat, same company, basically the same tour. We were supposed to have more snorkeling time, but didn't. The early morning tour got back late so the second shift lost out.

Hi cruise_girl

These tours are ONLY offered to cruise ship passengers and they pick up from the ship direct, so the arrival and departure times will be timed to fit in with your ship's itinery - probably best to book it with your cruise line in advance and they ought to be able to confirm the exact times that way too...

Hope that helps...

Ian

One huge advantge of these trips is that you leave from the ship and are returned to the ship. No need to waste time standing in line for tender tickets going in or in line coming back.

If you do want to go ashore after a tour and there is time - can just wait at the gangway for the next tender.

Question for you NCL just posted excursions online for our cruise on the Sun leaving 2/25.

They have two snorkel excursions:

1. Catamaran & Barrier Reff Snorkeling 3.5 hr 69.00

2. Shark Ray Alley & Beach Lunch 7.5 hr 99.00

Which one did you go on and which would you recommend?

Thanks

Cheryl

Question for you NCL just posted excursions online for our cruise on the Sun leaving 2/25.

They have two snorkel excursions:

1. Catamaran & Barrier Reff Snorkeling 3.5 hr 69.00

2. Shark Ray Alley & Beach Lunch 7.5 hr 99.00

Which one did you go on and which would you recommend?

Thanks

Cheryl

I went on the one titled in the thread, so I guess 1) would be the closest., but not exaclty. It was about a 3.5 hour tour. What was offered on the ship was not exactly what was listed in the pre-cruise excusions list. We snorkeled a reef and then went to Bannister island. Two of our ports were impacted by Wilma (Playa and Cozumel), so that changed a few things including lots of people wanting to do shore excurions in the only two ports we had left.

There was only one snorkel trip/beach offered, but it sold out so fast they scheduled a second one which quite possibly resulted in the reduced snorkel time.

I've been to Shark Ray alley a couple of times before, but not through a ship's tour. I did ask about that one off of the Sun, but they seemed quite certain that I woud not have time to do anything else (like hit the pharmacy) if I took that tour.

The tour company NCL used was Belize Paradise, but not sure for the shark ray alley tour. The one listed on Belize Paradise can't be a 7 1/2 hour tour - it says 3 hours 50 minutes, and doesn't list lunch. it is also Stingray Village - not Shark Ray alley.

All things considered (including I'm not much of a beach person), I would sign up for the Sting Ray Village/Horsehoe Reef one off of the Belize Paradise page, but that doesn't seem to be one of your choices?

Probably doesn't really answer your question, and if so, try asking again?

Oh yeah - I am an experience snorkler, so what I am looking for probably would not be what a beginner or weak swimmer might be happier with. Just an FYI.

My husband and I are both Scuba Divers. My husband has been having ear problems the last couple of months so he is not allowed to dive this time.

Thats why we will be snorkeling this time......wish we could dive in Belize, but it will have to wait till another time.

Thanks for all your info it has been very, very helpful.

Cheryl

Archived