Cruising with Step-Kids

CPriest2013

DH and I are taking all 5 of our kids on a cruise in August 2018. We have full custody of my bonus-kids and have for close to 2 years now. My DH was named sole-managing conservator so basically he has ALL legal decision making authority. His ex has visitation rights but that's pretty much it. We were planning on just taking everyone's birth certificates rather than trying to get passports and such. What documentation will we need for traveling with my bonus kids though since obviously I'm not the one listed on their birth certificates? Would we just take a certified copy of the current court order showing that my DH has all the legal rights? Or would we still need to get his ex to write a letter? I'm really hoping we can just use the court order because his ex is a piece of work to say the least.

Honestly, I would email - not call - the cruise line to get the answer to your question since you don't want to have any problems at embarkation. If you can't find a general cruise line email, email the special needs department. You need the cruise ship's answer in writing with you at the pier since sometimes their employees don't always know the rules.

And in case of an emergency here is what the state department requires for you to apply for a passport for your children without the other parent's consent. If you get left behind on your cruise you will need this to apply for emergency passports for the children and need to bring this information with you:

• Complete court order granting you sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply for your child’s passport (photocopy is acceptable)

When you leave the country with minor children and only one parent, it is recommended you have a letter from the other parent.

You don't mention you're family status with your own children. But you may need a second letter for them

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone! I called Carnival. They said to just bring a copy of the court order to embarkation. Since my DH is sole managing conservator he is the only one who has the legal authority to make decisions regarding the kids. We're also getting their passport cards since that should help the process as well.

With the other 3 kids, DH adopted my 2 boys almost 3 years ago so on their birth certificates, he is listed as their father. Our youngest son is biologically our's so no worries there. LOL!