Walkie Talkies

NBCNewsGuy

The last cruise I was on lot of people had walkie talkies on board to talk to friends on the ship and at port.

I found this to be a neat idea because cell phones do not work in the middle of the ocean.

Has anyone else done this?

Ryan

Ryan,

Truly, they've almost outlived their usefulness. We picked up a pair for our last cruise. It was almost a joke. So many people had them that you couldn't find an open channel. Since we are at sea the greater part of the trip, and you can't get TOO too lost, even among 2600 people, you shouldn't really need them. You'll very quickly get to know each of your favorite haunts, and you'll know where to look for each other. There are also house phones all over the ship, and you can call down to your room. I think you'll find it's more of a hassle to carry them and keep the batteries charged. I don't even know what we did with ours. Hopefully, they have mercifully disappeared somewhere. We didn't even think about taking them to Key West with us a few weeks ago. It's just one more thing to carry. It's your choice, of course, but I wouldn't bother.

Archived