Private hire car from Southampton to London

CH_ca

I just got a quote from West Quay cars. The quote is reasonable and is NOT subject to VAT. Does it mean it is VAT exempt? Or does it simply mean the quote does not include VAT? I don't want to be too tedious to email them to ask back and forth but I do want to prepare the right amount of cash.

Also, they said they'll only wait 15 minutes. In the unlikely event, I can't get a hold of the driver to notify delays and he/she left, what can be my back up plan to get to London Airport on time?

Businesses with a turnover of under £83,000 don't have to register for VAT

But West Quay Cars are much bigger than that so they have to charge VAT when appropriate.

Hiring of a vehicle with 10 or more seats is zero-rated for VAT. ie no tax payable.

But I'm guessing your hiring is for a regular 4/5/-seater car, and that's subject to VAT at the standard rate, 20%

So VAT is payable on your private transfer - the question is whether their price includes the VAT.

VAT is normally included in prices quoted to the end-user, though the law about that is quite complicated.

A business which sells mainly to the end-user (for instance a car accessory shop selling a windshield wiper) is obliged by law to quote prices inclusive of VAT, but a business which mainly supplies other businesses (for instance a motor factor selling the same windshield wiper but mainly to repair garages) will quote a price before VAT is added - this actually makes the accountancy easier for the business customer.

West Quay have both private and business customers, but I'm fairly certain that the price they've quoted you is including VAT because they know that you're the end-user, and they're a respectable organisation.

When I told you on your other thread that £100 was not unreasonable, I automatically assumed that this includes the VAT.

But their phraseology isn't clear, and £20 is a significant chunk to be unsure about.

They'll not mind you e-mailing to ask whether there's VAT to pay on top - ie whether you'll have to pay £100 or £120. (you can do better than £120 with other operators)

Better to get it from the horse's mouth rather than you or I making assumptions.

If you're significantly delayed eg the ship ports late (very unusual in Southampton but it happens) if you phone West Quay from the pier they're local and plenty big enough to get another car to you within 10 to 15 minutes. That's one advantage of dealing with a local operator.

Plan B for Heathrow is the train.

A through ticket from Southampton rail station gets you a train to Woking (near Heathrow) then a connecting RailAir shuttlebus from Woking station to Heathrow. Total journey time about 2 hours. Fares for two people will total about £85, add a taxi from the ship to Southampton central rail station & it's not much cheaper than a private transfer. That's why it's Plan B & not Plan A.

But no need to pre-book and the service roughly half-hourly, so it's a useful Plan B.

But I really don't think you'll need a Plan B :)

JB :)

Thanks for the replies. John, your knowledge and willingness to help never cease to amaze me! :)

I think I'll just stick to Plan A only then. If Plan A's driver really becomes no show, I guess I'll try to Uber to Heathrow (uh, ok that's my Plan B :D). But I have faith in West Quay Cars from all the good references here!

The three car services that are most often recommended on this forum, West Quay, Aquacars and Smiths, are only too well aware that; a, they get a lot of profitable business from taking cruise passengers to and from Southampton Docks, and b, how damaging even a single post saying how someone was stranded and missed their flight, would be.