Anyone cruise Tracy Arm?

cruiseorbust

Yes I have. And yes I did.

But, just so you know... the twin Sawyer Glaciers are NOT the highlight of the destination, the Tracy Arm is.

I was fortunate, we got very very close to the glaciers and were witness to some rather large/impressive calving.

However, in most cases, the ships are not able to make it anywhere near as close as we did as there is an Island a ways back, and the passage on either side is typically blocked with ice, so you can usually only view the glaciers from a far distance.

This destination as far as glacier highlights are concerned has nothing on the Hubbard glacier or Glacier Bay.

Cruised Tracy Arm in late May, and while the fjord is gorgeous, there was too much ice to get very close. We only saw one of the twin Sawyer glaciers, and at a distance. It was a wonderful introductory glance at Alaska.

I was glad we were able to take a few days at the end of our cruisetour to drive to Seward and take the Kenai Fjords boat trip. It was the only calving we saw, but then we were off the boat before Glacier Bay or Hubbard.

I'm pretty sure that later in the season they get farther into Tracy Arm than we did.

We were on RCI'S 'Serenade of the Seas', Sept04. Because of high seas, the visit to Hubbard Glacier was cancelled and we sailed into Tracy Arm instead.

I found it a poor substitute, however, despite the spectacular mountain scenery. Its best summed up by one fellow passenger who was overheard to say that he'd 'seen more ice in his refrigerator'

...comment, since, after two Alaska cruises with Celebrity, I'd been wondering why some people (mostly on the Alaska port board) seem to dismiss the splendor of Hubbard Glacier. I haven't seen Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay yet, but I find it hard to believe anything can top that SPECTACULAR wall of ice in Yakutat Bay ... both of our visits have been absolutely breathtaking, even if you don't count the sights and sounds of calving ... and even though the Gulf of Alaska waters can be mega-rough, it is kind of cool to go that much farther north before turning around and heading toward home ... TR

Archived