On the NCL Sun 12-11-05. Looking to do some discover scuba.

ptran504

Ports are: Playa Del Carmen (only there for 2 hours; I find that really weird), Cozumel, Belize city, and Roatan. Looking to do a dive for 6 people. I dived in March and thought it was awesome so I want to introduce my family. None of us are certified. We are all adults (19+). Any recommendations on how I should go about booking this? Thru the cruise line or straight thru the operators? Any pros and cons? Dangers? Prices I should be looking at? From what I have read about on this website, Cozumel is the biggest diving destination. Thanks alot!

You only stop in Playa Del Carmen long enough to let off the passengers that are taking tours to the Mayan ruins at Tuluum or Chichen Itza. You then go to Cozumel. Cozumel has many dive operators, and I have seen lots of good reviews of Eagleray Divers. We had used Papa Hogg's Scuba Emporium 4 years ago for their resort scuba course, which included instruction, equipment, and a 1 tank dive from the shore just outside their shop. At that time, it was $55 and we had an excellent instructor and guide. A good choice if they survived the hurricane. Roatan also is an outstanding diving and snorkeling location, with several dive operations that cater to cruise ship passengers. Google them for more info than you can sort out. Intro scuba typically runs $65 - $100. Belize has so many options, it is hard to choose: Cave tubing (great reviews, but I haven't tried it), tours to Mayan ruins (Lamanai is the best, but if you have seen other ruins like Chichen Itza, you may be disappointed), and snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley where you swim with 6' nurse sharks and stingrays. AWESOME!!! In Belize, you can book excursions from the Tourist Village on the spot. We booked Shark Ray Alley with Eco Tours last year for $55 per person after we arrived at Belize City tourist village.

ptran504,

If you book onboard, it usually will run you about $89pp

In Cozumel we use scubawithalison.com She is great in making you comfortable with what you are doing. Rates are usually 55pp. Her boat did survive Wilma. It usually runs about $6 for the taxi to the marina.

In Roatan, we use subwaywatersports.com. Their rates are 75pp. They will pick you up at the cruise pier and bring you back.

I would not even think about doing it in Belize as the rates are around $125pp.

Dave

Archived