Balconies on Dolphin deck

sylram

Have read several posts about these decks not being any good - completely open, no privacy, even "stuff" landing on them from above. Does anyone have anything GOOD to report about them, as that's what we have waiting for us on our 1st cruise--thanks.

We were recently on the Grand in the Med and had a minisuite on Dolphin Deck. We loved it. We never felt any lack of privacy on the balcony, even though it's not covered. We hardly ever saw anyone on the other balconies. The only problem we found was that on some days we were on the sunny side of the ship and it was just too hot to sit on the balcony as there was no shade.

Sylram, they are excellent cabins - minisuites with a large balcony, separate sitting area and the best part is a larger bathroon with a bath tub! Every cabin location has it's pros and cons. The balconies are completely open, but unless you were planning some nude sunning or hanky panky out on your balcony, it is not a problem. You will get a lot of sun on your balcony and have a place to relax and watch the sea go by or read a book. In actuality very few people spend much time on their balconies anyway except for arrivals and departures to ports. I wouldn't worry about "stuff" falling on your balcony from above decks either - we usually reserve a Caribe BB balcony, one deck above and half open and there has never been any debris on our balcony from the above decks.

You will be glad you reserved a mini and have the sofa for a nice sitting area next to the balcony and the extra room in the bathroom.

We loved our open balcony on the Dolphin deck. It never bothered us that people above us could see us. In fact, we had an ongoing conversation with one couple the entire cruise!

We were out on the balcony every morning with our coffee, and spent some time there in the evening with our wine.

You will love the extra space in the cabin and the larger bathroom!

Enjoy your cruise!

slyram, we were recently on the Star Princess transatlantic crossing, 22 Sept - 9 Oct. We were in cabin D418. At first I thought that being on an uncovered balcony might be a problem, but it wasn't. We didn't notice any 'trash' falling on the balcony from the cabins above and we weren't bothered by being out in the open......of course, I guess that depends on just what sort of activities you plan to engage in on your balcony.....our balcony activities were watching the scenery and reading, so no problems there.

We were just on the Diamond on a 17 day Asian cruise. Had D-611. We seldom ever saw anyone else out on their balconies despite quite good weather. Funny thing was that those with the covered balconies actually had less privacy, so far as their conversations were concerned. Their voices bounced off the metal ceiling of their balconies and every word could be heard, some of which I don't think they ever wanted heard ! We could hear conversarions from cabins two decks up. Fortunately, as I said, few people seemed to use the balconies and we never felt spied upon.

We had a mini on the Dolphin Deck on the Coral Princess--It was really great and the extra space was really nice00Like the bath tub, too.

We were on for the full transit of the Panama Canal--Since our balconys on the Dolphin stick out further than the ones above us--they couldn't see down between the ship and canal wall, but we could--only about 18" clearance

I'm spoiled--now I want a mini over a balcony

Nancy:)

We had mini's on the Diamond and the Golden - both on Dolphin - and we loved them. I didn't care if it was totally covered or not - and we never felt like anyone was watching us or had anything land on us. We're doing the Grand in Feb - you guessed it, a mini on D deck.

We had mini's on the Diamond and the Golden - both on Dolphin - and we loved them. I didn't care if it was totally covered or not - and we never felt like anyone was watching us or had anything land on us. We're doing the Grand in Feb - you guessed it, a mini on D deck.

We had a Dolphin mini on the Golden in April.

We never had a problem with anything being thrown down, landing, etc. on the balcony.

It didn't bother us that it was totally open. Actually, it was interesting going out as we were leaving ports and seeing everyone else above us.

Archived