Crane's beach

shg

Has anyone gone to Crane's Beach lately? My husband and I were there 21 years ago and loved it. We are thinking of spending the day this cruise at this beach?

---------------

It's still the best beach (IMHO) on the island, perhaps in the Caribbean.

Not for snorkeling. Not for swimming. Just for beauty.

Where else can you find this?:

crane-beach-barbados.jpg

crane5.jpg

Have a great time! :) :) :)

Barbados,

Why would it be bad for swimming? How far away is this from where the cruise ship docks?

Boy what a beautiful beach!! What other beaches would be close by?

Haven't ever been to Barbados and am so looking forward to seeing some of the beauty there?

Any reconmendations for DH and I?

Love beaches, historical sites and quiet time, expecially since my job is being a Nanny to four wonderful children, so when I vacation I want to relax and forget what I've left behind.

Thanks and have a great day!! CJ :) :)

"Why would it be bad for swimming?" You will rock & roll, "so hang your clothes on a hickory stick but don't go near the water." Near this beach is a spot called Sharks Hole, get swimming and fun.

"How far away is this from where the cruise ship docks?"

Taxi ride will cost about $30.00 to $40.00 US. In addition, there is a cost to enter the hotel to get to the free beach. Which, without question it is a beautiful beach, good for playing in the surf.

Why would it be bad for swimming?"

Did you ever see “The World according to Garp”?

Well, in it his two sons were afraid to swim in the ocean as their father told them there was a giant UNDER-TOAD that lived there.

That’s what Crane has, a severe undertow. People do swim and wind surf, but we also read about one or two a year that got caught by Mr. Under toad. Crane is on the SE coast of the island, which is the wilder, Atlantic side. The West coast is the calmer, Caribbean side.

Actually, one can access the beach for free without going through the restaurant. Go to the roundabout just past the hotel on the left and you’ll find a rocky path that will lead you down those towering stairs.

The city bus runs by here and you can arrange transport for US$.75 each way.

Have a great time. :)

Reading these posts brought back memories. Last December my husband and I spent the day at Cranes Beach with another couple from our ship (Constellation). We went there because I, too, had been hooked by the photographs. It is a gorgeous, gorgeous beach and if you go to the hotel, the property is also quite lovely. There is a charge to use the beach if you go through the hotel. I can't remember the details, but I know we got some back (or maybe all of it) by ordering drinks in the restaurant.

The surf was gorgeous to view, but way too rough for swimming. The guy we were with waded in and got knocked over and lost his glasses. It was that rough! Enjoy Barbardos!

Linda

Near Crane’s beach a short way up the coast, we were at Sam Lord’s beach with another couple, knee-deep in the sea. A wave hit us, down we went. When we righted ourselves, Erica’s top of her swimsuit was twisted so her breast was exposed, my bathing suit was so full of sand the weight of it pulled my suit to my knees, the same for my husband, the inner part of his suit, full of sand, was also down to his knees. His ring was missing, never to be found. Our other friend lost his sunglasses, we all lost our decorum. We looked up and all of our fellow guests from Sam Lord’s Castle were falling out of their beach chairs with laughter. My husband took a hat and tried to collect money stating, “We don’t perform for free.” From then on, total strangers from the resort would approach us asking when we would be going swimming again. They wanted to make sure to be there. This long tale is told to describe the water conditions at Crane Beach, with luck you could have calm water or you could sit on the beach and have a few laughs.

We were just at Crane's beach on Nov. 17. The undertow wasn't bad at all, and the waves were a blast to swim through/over/under.

The fee of $25 per person (Barbadian $, about $12 US) is given to you as a credit if you eat in the hotel's restaurant or have drinks in the bar. There is a fee to use the lounges on the beach. This concession is not affiliated with the hotel, so no credit is offered. They do have beer and soft drinks for sale while you're soaking up the sun on this stunning beach.

• 1 month later...

Russg140: I understand that the Crane is undergoing major renovations right now and that the path down to the beach (on the side opposite of where the steps are) is being built as well. Was there a lot of noise? Was it as peaceful as I remember? Wouldyou have picked a different place due to the construction?

We also fell in love with Mr Barbados' photo's of The Crane. Got there last Jan and are going back this Jan... Actually., Feb 02 TO BE PRECISE ! Georgous doesn't do it justice. The water is the most spectacular blue I've ever seen and the sand has a pink tint to it and powdery soft. The surf is incredible and could be dangerous if not a very good swimmer. I went in and WOW.......85 degrees and a real blast. The wind seems to blow all the time.... steady about 10 knots...... We dined outside and the wind Blew the pumpkin soup right off our spoons.....A good laugh. Lunch was very good.... Was there on a Sunday and they had a buffet for 25.00 pp US. They did charge a fee to access the beach via their property , but credited our lunch bill for the same amount (10.00 pp I think). Exchange your money to the barbadian currency at the terminal....... I paid roughly double for the taxi and the beach chairs , as I wasn't aware of the difference in value.......and of course the cabbie and beach rental guy were'nt about to let me know......No wonder they had big smiles when I paid in US dollars !

When planning our cruise for our 25th anniversary, I told my DH that I didn't care about anything but being on the cruise for our anniversary and that we go to Barbados. We had been on Crane beach in 1988. There were a whopping four people on the beach, us and the couple with us. It was the same in 2004, probably because the tide was in and we had to go through the rocks to get to the northern part of the beach. Well worth it. In June 2005 the tide was out and the water was relatively calm. We probably spent an hour in the water, playing in the waves or just standing and talking.

Crane Beach - just one of those places that I hate to leave. Don't know exactly what it is, but there's just a "feeling" there.

• 3 months later...

Habby -

You will not find it so deserted now. They have built several timeshare buildings there now and the beach is quite crowded (although you still have to go down the rickety stairs to reach it). Water most days is quite rough.

We love it there and go every trip. We always enjoy having drinks/lunch on the balcony overlooking the gorgeous beach. Too bad it's more crowded these days.

Lois

How long does it take to get to this beach from where the ship docks? Should we make it a day trip or a half a day if we want to spend a few hours there? Thank you! Beth

------------------------------------

Crane is about ten (10) miles from the terminal.

This could take you 20 minutes to 45 minutes depending on traffic.

The East Coast and SE coast is a trip within itself. You can just rush there and rush back in 3-4 hours or….

Make the SE and E coasts your destination for this visit.

In six hours, or less, you can arrive at The Crane, spend two hours, Go up the coast and see Sam Lords castle (only stop for 15 minutes), Bottom Bay, Ragged Point, St. John’s Parish Church, Tent Bay, Bathsheba and back to the West Coast just minutes from your ship.

Bottom Bay, Barbados

bottonbay2.jpg

If you only spent one (1) hour at the Crane (but you won’t be able to resist), you could also see Andromeda Gardens or stop at Chalky Mountain Potteries.

We’ve done fourteen (14) years on the island every winter, January through March. Some winters we get to spend almost a month there, others just a few days…Time not spent on Barbados is spent on other islands, but none as beautiful as Barbados.

But the few days we’re lucky enough to spend on the island we don’t spend in Holetown, we go to the East Coast.

It is a magic place. Few people. Raw, untouched beauty. Solitude. Natural peace.

If I were a first or second time visitor to the island, I’d do a 5 or 6-hour tour of the SE and E coasts. Few one-day visitors get to see it and it’s our best asset….the one you’ll remember forever.

We’ve seen them all in the Caribbean and our East Coast is unmatched.

(How am I doing Mr. Wade, Barbados Tourism Board…???) LOL :)

See the East and please come back soon and see the West… :) :) :)

-b-

In six hours, or less, you can arrive at The Crane, spend two hours, Go up the coast and see Sam Lords castle (only stop for 15 minutes), Bottom Bay, Ragged Point, St. John’s Parish Church, Tent Bay, Bathsheba and back to the West Coast just minutes from your ship.

Thank you for this suggestion! It sounds wonderful! I looked up some of the places and they are just grand! I would like to know if there is a tour company that we could hire for this 6 hour excursion or should we hire a taxi? If we hired a taxi, what kind of a price are we looking at? Thank you again for your help! Beth :D

Unfortunately, I am unable to suggest a tour company, as we have no current, personal experience with any. Perhaps a dear reader may offer help.

I’m an advocate of taxi tours. You get a custom tour from a full-time resident of the island at a price equivalent to some group bus tours.

The last time that I checked, taxi fares were about US$25/hr for up to four (4) in the cab.

Standby time (while he’s waiting for you at an attraction) is usually ½ of the normal hourly rate.

I would estimate that a six (6) hour taxi tour would cost about US$125-US$140 + tip.

If you can find two (2) other folks to share the tour with you, that’s only US$35-45/ea.

Please discuss your desired itinerary and total time allotted with your driver and agree at a final price before you start the tour.

You can always take the bus to Crane for US$.75/ea, stay there as long as you want and then get a taxi to finish your East Coast tour. This would knock about US$40-50 off an all-taxi tour.

Best wishes for a wonderful time on my favorite island! :)

Habby -

You will not find it so deserted now. The beach is quite crowded (although you still have to go down the rickety stairs to reach it). Water most days is quite rough.

We love it there and go every trip. We always enjoy having drinks/lunch on the balcony overlooking the gorgeous beach. Too bad it's more crowded these days.

Lois

Greetings Lois!!

We were at the Crane last Wednesday. Tide was in so we didn't go to the northern part of the beach. Water was a little too rough for me but my DH and DB had a blast in the waves. Still my favorite place on earth! Looking forward to going back next year.

It is a magic place. Few people. Raw, untouched beauty. Solitude. Natural peace.

If I were a first or second time visitor to the island, I’d do a 5 or 6-hour tour of the SE and E coasts. Few one-day visitors get to see it and it’s our best asset….the one you’ll remember forever.

We’ve seen them all in the Caribbean and our East Coast is unmatched.

This is the best description I have ever seen for Crane Beach. The tourism board should be proud!

I spent last week at the Crane. The most crowded day at Crane Beach had 37 people on it. That was Thursday afternoon & that included Crane Resort Guests (aqua towels) and the cruise ship passengers (yellow towels and royal blue towels) Carnival and NCL?. I don't consider that crowded compared to other beaches. I spent most of the day on Sunday at this beach and at the busiest time there were 12 people on the beach.

The view looking down at Crane Beach from the pool is gut-wrenchingly beautiful. I'd say it's a tie between the Caldera view from Thera, Greece on Santorini to the view at the Crane.

I love Barbados. My favorite Caribbean island used to be St. John. I've been to almost every island and Barbados is my new favorite and I love the people. We drove around that island all week getting lost and the people of Barbados were always helpful with directions - friendly and kind.

If you're only there for a cruise port stop, I'd recommend hiring a taxi. If you don't want to have the driver wait, when you're ready to leave, ask the consierge in the Crane Lobby to call you a cab and have a drink at the bar while you wait.

"You can always take the bus to Crane for US$.75/ea, stay there as long as you want and then get a taxi to finish your East Coast tour. This would knock about US$40-50 off an all-taxi tour."

I have always found that you really get the feel of a place by riding pubic transit.

Can you direct me to where I can get information on there bus system?

I have tried to put cranes beach as a search destination on the transport boards web site and it does not reconize it.

Scott

"You can always take the bus to Crane for US$.75/ea, stay there as long as you want and then get a taxi to finish your East Coast tour. This would knock about US$40-50 off an all-taxi tour."

I have always found that you really get the feel of a place by riding pubic transit.

Can you direct me to where I can get information on there bus system?

I have tried to put cranes beach as a search destination on the transport boards web site and it does not reconize it.

Scott

Doesn't show as Crane Beach. We just call it Crane.

Crane is on bus route #11 out of the Fairchild St. Station.

It runs from 6:45am - 4:15pm M-F.

It is about a 15-20 minute walk from the dock.

Exit through the Gatehouse and follow Princess Alice Hwy to the right (toward Pelican Village).

Continue past Pelican toward National Heroes Square and turn right on Bridge St (one block past National Heroes Square) and walk over the bridge.

The next street that you come to after the end of the bridge is Fairchild.

You'll see the terminal on your left.

I know you'll enjoy the bus and the east coast! :)

Thanks for your quick response; I should have read a little farther on these treads as this has been answered many times before. Looks like you keep vary busy answering questions.

I also contacted the transit board by phone and was told it is the 12 route.

Did you mean the number 12?

Thanks

Scott

Thanks for your quick response; I should have read a little farther on these treads as this has been answered many times before. Looks like you keep vary busy answering questions.

I also contacted the transit board by phone and was told it is the 12 route.

Did you mean the number 12?

Thanks

Scott

There are two routes.

#12A is scenic with more stops:

Outbound:

Fairchild Street Terminal, River Road, Jemmotts Lane, Highway 7, Bay Street, Barbados Museum, Garrison, Garrison Savannah, Hastings, Worthing, Graeme Hall Swamp,St. Lawrence Gap Top Rock, Maxwell, Oistins, Thornbury Hill, Durant’s, Providence, Pilgrim Road, Callenders, Grantley Adams Airport, Spencers, Rock Hall, Gemswick, St. Martins, Foul Bay, Kirtons, (Kirtons No3 some services) Heddings, Crane, Belair, Sam Lords Castle, Long Bay, Shrewsbury

#11 is quicker with less stops:

Outbound:

Fairchild Street Terminal, River Road, Collymore Rock, Wildey, Upton, St. David’s, Edey Village, Searles, Lead Vale, Fairview, St. Patricks, Woodbourne, Highland, Six Roads, Circle Round-a-Bout, Four Roads, Kirtons, Crane, Belair, Long Bay, Shrewsbury, Wellhouse, Merricks, East point, Marley Vale, St. Catherine’s Church, Circle Marley Vale

#11 runs M-F.

#12A runs M - Sun

My notes are quite old and I had to look it up, but it appears as if #12A may be a better route as far as sightseeing goes.

Again, my best for a great trip! :)

-b-

There are two routes.

#12A is:

Outbound:

Fairchild Street Terminal, River Road, Jemmotts Lane, Highway 7, Bay Street, Barbados Museum, Garrison, Garrison Savannah, Hastings, Worthing, Graeme Hall Swamp,St. Lawrence Gap Top Rock, Maxwell, Oistins, Thornbury Hill, Durant’s, Providence, Pilgrim Road, Callenders, Grantley Adams Airport, Spencers, Rock Hall, Gemswick, St. Martins, Foul Bay, Kirtons, (Kirtons No3 some services) Heddings, Crane, Belair, Sam Lords Castle, Long Bay, Shrewsbury

#11 is:

Outbound:

Fairchild Street Terminal, River Road, Collymore Rock, Wildey, Upton, St. David’s, Edey Village, Searles, Lead Vale, Fairview, St. Patricks, Woodbourne, Highland, Six Roads, Circle Round-a-Bout, Four Roads, Kirtons, Crane, Belair, Long Bay, Shrewsbury, Wellhouse, Merricks, East point, Marley Vale, St. Catherine’s Church, Circle Marley Vale

#11 runs M-F.

#12A runs M - Sun

My notes are quite old and I had to look, but it appears as if #12A may be a better route as far as sightseeing.

Best,

-ba-

Great

Looks like we have a couple of choices.

11 may be faster looking at the stops.

• 4 months later...
There are two routes.

#12A is scenic with more stops:

Outbound:

#11 is quicker with less stops:

Outbound:

#11 runs M-F.

#12A runs M - Sun

My notes are quite old and I had to look it up, but it appears as if #12A may be a better route as far as sightseeing goes.

Again, my best for a great trip! :)

-b-

How frequently do the buses run? Essentially, I am asking if we spent time at Crane, then wanted to briefly go to Sam Lords castle then return to the ship, is there adequate time to do that on the buses? I like the idea of feeling more local on the bus, plus the price can't be beat.

Archived