Can someone clarify for me....

travelgurl

We are booked on Feb 2 cruise which was originally booked on The Dawn earlier this year. The booking was diverted back to the travel agency we had originally used. The final payment date this agency gave us is 11/23. Is the final payment date for a 10 day cruise not 75 days prior to sailing? We inquired about cancelling as we figured there was time to do so without losing our deposit, since the final payment date was 3 days away (or so we thought). The agency emailed me back today stating we would lose our 800$ deposit and "have a good day". I called NCL and was told the final paymemt date for our cruise was yesterday 11/19. She said our reservation is still there and would be until the final payment was made by the deadline. I am confused and my understanding is that the reservation would be cancelled if the payment is not made. Was I wrong to trust that the final payment date the agency gave us was correct? Is the date to cancel without losing your deposit tied in with the final payment date, as I had thought?

Thanks for taking the time to read my tale of woe and I appreciate any feedback on this.

Taken directly from NCL's site, "Terms and Conditions" section:

Please note: the cut-n-pasted sections below did not copy cleanly, and the columns are dropped, so reading may be a bit difficult. If it's confusing, go to ncl's website, click on "more info" then on "passenger info" then on "Cancellation Policy".

Deposit Schedule

Length of Cruise

Deposit

(per person)

Air Deposit (per person)

Final Payment Due

Final Payment Due Holiday Sailings Only

Cruises 7 days or less (excluding Hawaii)

$250

$0

75 days prior to sailing

90 days prior to sailing

Cruises 8 days or more (excluding Hawaii)

$400

$0

75 days prior to sailing

90 days prior to sailing

Garden Villa Category A1

$2,500

$0

90 days prior to sailing

90 days prior to sailing

Hawaii Cruises

$250

$50

75 days prior to sailing

90 days prior to sailing

Hawaii Cruises (8 plus days)

$400

$50

75 days prior to sailing

90 days prior to sailing

So, since you did not appear to be sailing on a holiday, unless your reservation was for the Garden Villa, I believe you can assume that you were correct in thinking that your final payment date is 75 days prior to sailing.

And then:

Cancellation Fee Schedule

Length of Cruise

Days Prior to Departure Date

Cruise Canc'l Fee

Air Canc'l Fee

Land Canc'l Fee

Add-on Canc'l Fee

Cruises 7 days or less (excluding Hawaii)

90 - 76 days (Holiday Only)

Deposit

$200

$50

10%

75 - 30 days

Deposit

$100 / $200 Holiday Only

$0 / $50 Holiday Only

10%

29 - 8 days

50%

$200

100%

50%

7 days or less

100%

100%

100%

100%

Cruises 8 days or more (excluding Hawaii)

Deposit

$200

$50

10%

75 - 46 days

Deposit

$100 / $200 Holiday Only

$0 / $50 Holiday Only

10%

45 - 30 days

50%

$200

$0 / $50 Holiday Only

50%

29 - 8 days

50%

$200

100%

50%

7 days or less

100%

100%

100%

100%

Garden Villa Category A1

Deposit

$200

$50

10%

90 - 76 days

Deposit

$0 / $200 Holiday Only

$0 / $50 Holiday Only

10%

75 - 46 days

Deposit

$100 / $200 Holiday Only

$0 / $50 Holiday Only

10%

45 - 30 days

50%

$100 / $200 Holiday Only

$0 / $50 Holiday Only

50%

29 days or less

100%

100%

100%

100%

Hawaii Cruises

(of any length)

From time of air deposit to 91 days (Holiday Only)

$0

$50

$0

$0

From time of air deposit to 76 days

$0

$50

$0

$0

Deposit

$50

$50

10%

75 - 46 days

Deposit

100%

$0 / $50 Holiday Only

10%

45 - 8 days

50%

100%

100%

50%

7 days or less

100%

100%

100%

100%

• Reservations that are not paid in full by the final payment due date are subject to cancellation and in the event a reservation is canceled, a cancellation fee will apply.
  • No refunds will be given on any cruise for no-shows.
  • No refunds will be made in the event of interruption or cancellation by any passenger after the cruise begins.
  • Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to the above cancellation fees.

Requests for refunds must be in writing to NCL. Cruise tickets, air tickets, transfer coupons and/or vacation package vouchers must be returned before a refund can be made. Refund processing time is about three to four weeks. Air tickets issued by our Air/Sea Department for passengers on our Air/Sea Programs are refundable only to NCL. Group passenger policies may differ. Payment and cancellation charges may differ by promotion.

So, unless you were part of a special promotion, and if you did notify your travel agent prior to the 75 days prior to sailing, you should be entitled to receive your entire deposit back, minus any administrative fees charged by your TA.

Hope this helps! ;)

We are booked on Feb 2 cruise which was originally booked on The Dawn earlier this year. The booking was diverted back to the travel agency we had originally used. The final payment date this agency gave us is 11/23. Is the final payment date for a 10 day cruise not 75 days prior to sailing? We inquired about cancelling as we figured there was time to do so without losing our deposit, since the final payment date was 3 days away (or so we thought). The agency emailed me back today stating we would lose our 800$ deposit and "have a good day". I called NCL and was told the final paymemt date for our cruise was yesterday 11/19. She said our reservation is still there and would be until the final payment was made by the deadline. I am confused and my understanding is that the reservation would be cancelled if the payment is not made. Was I wrong to trust that the final payment date the agency gave us was correct? Is the date to cancel without losing your deposit tied in with the final payment date, as I had thought?

Thanks for taking the time to read my tale of woe and I appreciate any feedback on this.

It is tied to your final payment date which was the 19th. I am on the 2/12 Dawn cruise the final payment date is the 29th. If you do the math the 19th was 75 days prior.

If you don't cancel your deposit is gone. The fact you did not make final does not cancel your reservation it forfeits you deposit. You can beg for forgiveness but the terms are well documented.

"Cancellation must be telephoned to our Reservations Department by your travel agent. Depending on when you cancel your cruise, cancellation charges will be assessed as follows:"

http://www.ncl.com/more/terms.htm#payment

Sorry :o

Thanks, Shoreguy! I made two errors in my post above.

First one was not counting the days backwards properly.

Second one was trying to cut and paste instead of simply providing the link to the information as you did.

I'll slow down my fingers and think more thoroughly about the best way to convey the info next time! My post is a mess! :eek:

:(<Big Sigh> Thanks so much for the feedback.

Just so I may be more clear.

The TA (which is an online agency) emailed me that my final payment is due 11/23 ...so ...I never counted to make sure they were right. I just trusted that it was 75 days before sailing (Arent the TA's supposed to forward my payment to NCL on time too... maybe ask for my payment earlier so it doesnt get to NCL late?)

That is why I thought I was in the green to cancel before the 23rd. I kind of feel like some trickery is going on here. Do TA's have some agreement with cruiselines where they can make payments late??

Now, since this agency has given the final payment date as a later date.... cant NCL penalize me (even if I had no plans to cancel?) :confused:

Is this agency wrong or am I?

What a mess.

I work for a fairly large on-line agency as an outside agent. Our company gives us a date for final well before the date the cruiseline does (but we know what theirs is since they tell you when deposit is made). This allows us time for error. For instance if you have a debit card and only $500-600 a day can be posted you have a few extra days to deal with it. Or if a credit card doesn't authorize, a check bounces..any of those snags that can very easily occur. I think this is a good policy because it is just not smart to wait till the last second. I know if it were me I'd rather post this a week ahead on my cc than risk my trip. It is at the agents discretion to just make the final when the cruisline says if for some reason the client needs that extra time but I usually still like to call a day or two ahead at least. Our policy gives the supervisors an ability to keep track of each agent so things don't cancel. I think it's a good system. Anyway, I just thought people should know why some agencies dates may not match.

PS this is not a search for sales, folks, just an FYI.

OH, I vote we change Shoreguys name to Seadude. He knows everything!!

Travelgurl,

If you still have that email from your TA which shows the due date of 11/23, you can try and plead your case with NCL. Tell them that you have written documentation which shows a different date that the one NCL is stating as the final date. It probably would also help if you still had plans to go on the cruise.

TA's are suppose to make the final payment on time. Good ones will make the payment early.

Dave

What a mess.

, I just thought people should know why some agencies dates may not match.

PS this is not a search for sales, folks, just an FYI.

OH, I vote we change Shoreguys name to Seadude. He knows everything!!

The dates often are not the same but they are always the same or earlier not after the cruise line date as it seems in this case.

I know far less then everything but most everything I know came from others on this board.:)

travelgurl if you still wish to cancel and have in writing the due date of the 23rd you have a case. I would get to a supervisor at the agency and have them work this out. There are exceptions to every rule. Do not let the 23rd pass without resolution.

I do have the email stating final payment due 11/23 and they are still saying it is due then. Here is the last reply from one on the "Managers":

"Payment dates and penalty dates are different items they have NOTHING to do with each other.

Penalty dates are posted in the cruise line brochure and establisheb by cruiselines.

Payment dates are set by the agency and have NOTHING to do with penalty dates."

I am not getting anywhere with this guy. He isnt even acknowledging that NCL creates a final payment date. I dont get it. The email he was responding to from me was asking why they dont ask for final payment at the 75 day mark or earlier. I am just puzzled. Yes,

I am going to call NCL and speak with a supervisor. Wish me luck!

Thank you, thank you, thank you !

I do have the email stating final payment due 11/23 and they are still saying it is due then. Here is the last reply from one on the "Managers":

"Payment dates and penalty dates are different items they have NOTHING to do with each other.

Penalty dates are posted in the cruise line brochure and establisheb by cruiselines.

Payment dates are set by the agency and have NOTHING to do with penalty dates."

I am not getting anywhere with this guy. He isnt even acknowledging that NCL creates a final payment date. I dont get it. The email he was responding to from me was asking why they dont ask for final payment at the 75 day mark or earlier. I am just puzzled. Yes,

I am going to call NCL and speak with a supervisor. Wish me luck!

Thank you, thank you, thank you !

That is BS. Your contract is with NCL. The T&Cs are quite clear. The only out may be you are part of a group booking the online agency created,

All passengers, including third through eight berth passengers, must pay the deposit set forth in the following table for the applicable cruise within the option period offered on the cruise at the time of booking and must pay the final payment within the time prescribed in the table for the applicable cruise. Group passenger policies may differ.

Good luck.

Shoreguy you are RIGHT ..(It is BS!!) and my reservation was added to a group booking by this online agency. I dont know how as I chose my own cabin before I got off the ship last Feb.

I just got off the phone with a very helpful woman from NCL, named Connie. She spoke to someone in Group Bookings who said the TA has to request the penalty be waived. I emailed her all the correspondence between myself and this travel agent who claims he is a manager (and knows little about NCL policies). She is going to email him asking him to request my cancellation fee be waived. I guess the TA has to request this.

I will keep you posted on this.

Shoreguy you are RIGHT ..(It is BS!!) and my reservation was added to a group booking by this online agency. I dont know how as I chose my own cabin before I got off the ship last Feb.

I just got off the phone with a very helpful woman from NCL, named Connie. She spoke to someone in Group Bookings who said the TA has to request the penalty be waived. I emailed her all the correspondence between myself and this travel agent who claims he is a manager (and knows little about NCL policies). She is going to email him asking him to request my cancellation fee be waived. I guess the TA has to request this.

I will keep you posted on this.

Your getting closer . It should not be this hard. Many wonder why I book direct and even pay a small premium to do that sometimes. If we have to do all the work we should control our own booking.

I booked the Dawn for Feb. 2006 in Aug. 04 onboard the Sun. The rates finally dropped below the price I booked at last week even taking into account the obc. Without the obc the savings was only $15 with it $165. With a couple of calls and some follow up emails I was able to keep the credit and get the lower price. I got a call from NCL today confirming my obc was reinstated. No mega online agency is going to do that for me.

Good luck

Your getting closer . It should not be this hard. Many wonder why I book direct and even pay a small premium to do that sometimes. If we have to do all the work we should control our own booking.

I booked the Dawn for Feb. 2006 in Aug. 04 onboard the Sun. The rates finally dropped below the price I booked at last week even taking into account the obc. Without the obc the savings was only $15 with it $165. With a couple of calls and some follow up emails I was able to keep the credit and get the lower price. I got a call from NCL today confirming my obc was reinstated. No mega online agency is going to do that for me.

Good luck

Maybe not a Mega, but.................;)

Well, so far the Agency is willing to email NCL and ask for a FCC (future cruise credit) and the agent says that my reservation being part of a group booking is news to him. HMMM....I still feel like my chain is being yanked.

To be perfectly honest, I would have been happy to have kept this booking with NCL but they insisted it be sent back to the TA previously used.

This is still not resolved but its getting closer and you're right it shouldn't be this hard. Thanks for the feedback and support.:)

Archived