QE2 Reprieve vs Queen Victoria

cunarder

Hi All,

The following was found on Maritime Matters:

Old QUEEN Trumps The New?

November 19: Yesterday, the Southampton Daily Echo published an encouraging report about the 37 year old QUEEN ELIZABETH 2. Cunard sources quoted in the article mention that the venerable liner will be able to operate beyond 2010, when new SOLAS regulations will force the retirement of nearly every classic passenger ship sailing. In what has been called a "rolling program", the QE2 will continue receiving upgrades and refits to keep her in compliance with current standards and could remain in service for up to ten or twelve more years. The ship has had an exceptional season in Europe this year and has 1,100 full voyage passengers booked for her 2007 world cruise.

This might explain why sources in Italy claim all work has recently been halted on the newbuilding QUEEN VICTORIA. There is unconfirmed speculation that the proposed Cunarder, originally intended to be the fifth Holland America Vista Class vessel, may actually be returned to Holland America or completed for P&O/Princess or another Carnival subsidiary.

This would explain the delays on Queen Victoria.

What does everyone think about this new turn of events?

Ed

Hi cunarder,

When I was on the QE2 the other week, the crew said that Cunard still intend to sail all three ships and that the delay of the Queen Victoria is due to the shipyard having a higher priority job at the moment and they intend to resume building the Queen Victoria at some time in the future.

Cunard needs a new ship. Its nice to be an exclusive niche line but the QE2 isn't going to last forever - although it feels like its been around for that long. Hey, I'd love to do a QE2 sailing and in fact I'm seriously looking at Cunard for 2007 for a special cruise with my other half. However, this line needs to expand and a third Queen is the way to go in my books. I cannot see why it can't have three Queens running simultaneously?

Hi Cunarder,

On a recent med cruise, Stephen Payne - head designer fo the QM2 - was asked, in a public Q&A session about the Queen Victoria and about the future of the QE2.

On the former, he confirmed that construction has begun in Italy. However, Princess had a higher priority ship to build and so work had been suspended on QV to allow this other ship to be built. He expected QV - a cruise ship with some liner characteristics such as a strengthened bow - to come into service in 2007.

On QE2, he acknowledged that 2010 is an issue but sounded relatively optimistic about being able to meet SOLAS. He went on to say that there would come a point when the costs of replacing 'major machinery' (his words) would become prohibitive. He did say that commercial considerations would be a factor in the 2 or 3 Queen decision. In almost the same breath, he confirmed that QE2 is extremely profitable right now.

On the same trip, I was told by an officer that at the last dry docking, the hull inspection of QE2 had concluded that it is as strong now as when it was launched. The engines are also in excellent shape and have many years ahead of them - if needed.

Add all that to Capt. O'Shaughnessy - sorry Bates - comments about the future of the ship, and I am left feeling more optimistic than for some time that the 'grand dame' of the high seas has many more years ahead of her.

Thanks for the replies. Your insights are appreciated. I am glad that QE2 will sail longer than first thought. I can't wait to get back on her.

I would also like to see 3 Queens on the Seas at one time. I have been on QE2 and QM2. I would like to add a 3rd Queen to my list. It just seems that Queen Victoria's date seems to get pushed back all the time.

Fifer - Could you please write what Captain O'Shaughnessy said about QE2.

Thanks,

Ed

Archived