Pearl to Alaska 6/4. What do you need to know?

loxley

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for asking. When you get back, if you could post here any tips that you feel would be helpful for first time Alaska cruisers on this cruise. We are on the 6/18 sailing. And although it isn't my first cruise, it is our first Alaskan cruise. Used to packing shorts/swimsuits. Not worried about clothing as I have a handle on that, but any tips for the ship itself or the cruise ports and any must see's in your opinion. We have nothing planned for Juneau or Victoria. If you do get off the ship in Juneau, see if you notice many whale watching excursions available for purchase at the port. Not sure that we want to do this so I don't want to pre-book. I hope you have great weather and an awesome cruise. Look forward to your updates when you get home!

Thanks again!

Thank you so much for asking. When you get back, if you could post here any tips that you feel would be helpful for first time Alaska cruisers on this cruise. We are on the 6/18 sailing. And although it isn't my first cruise, it is our first Alaskan cruise. Used to packing shorts/swimsuits. Not worried about clothing as I have a handle on that, but any tips for the ship itself or the cruise ports and any must see's in your opinion. We have nothing planned for Juneau or Victoria. If you do get off the ship in Juneau, see if you notice many whale watching excursions available for purchase at the port. Not sure that we want to do this so I don't want to pre-book. I hope you have great weather and an awesome cruise. Look forward to your updates when you get home!

Thanks again!

Just an FYI, I've waited until arriving in Juneau to book whale watching. Like you, we weren't sure if that's what we wanted to do, so we waited and have a number of tours to choose from. :D

I don't need anything but thought I'd tell you something I think you should experience. Looking at your schedule the evening after Glacier Bay would probably be a good time to do this: When it's sort of twilight out and the ship is underway for Ketchikan you'll be among many islands, large and small. Go to the Spinnaker Lounge (if nothing is going on...) and just sit so you can see where the ship is going. I did that one evening and there was only a few other people (6-8) there. The room was quiet with a very low instrumental music playing and nobody talking. You're moving through the islands and it looks like it will go on forever. Very surreal. Very relaxing. There might be other opportunities or no opportunities to do this at all but if I could do it again I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's nothing like anything else I've ever experienced. Totally cool. :cool:

I have to remember this in August! Thank you!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
Just a ballpark time is fine. Whether O'Sheehan's has the Thai chili wings is more important! :D

O'Sheehans still had Thai Chili WIngs last week. Worst day for disembarking is Juneau. I think everyone is anxious to put there feet on Alaskan soil (or concrete). Juneau & Victoria disembark from deck 4. Skagway & Ketchikan disembark from Deck 7. We had priority disembarkation so I'm not sure of the amount of time it takes to get off. I know they let their excursions off first after the priority guests.

O'Sheehans still had Thai Chili WIngs last week. Worst day for disembarking is Juneau. I think everyone is anxious to put there feet on Alaskan soil (or concrete). Juneau & Victoria disembark from deck 4. Skagway & Ketchikan disembark from Deck 7. We had priority disembarkation so I'm not sure of the amount of time it takes to get off. I know they let their excursions off first after the priority guests.

Someone posted photos from after the refurb and they included O'Sheehan's menu--I was really happy to see they updated them! Also, thanks to you for checking on it.

Good to know on debarkation. Thanks!