QM2 Pool Length

Wendell

My wife and I have been invited to do a triathlon 2 weeks after we land.

We were considering practicing on board QM2 - does anyone know if QM2 has a pool that would be suitable length for doing laps (or what the length of the longest pool is?)

QM2 has a very extensive gym, which will help you keep general fitness. The cruise is fairly bad timing for peaking. If you train hard up to the cruise and use it as recovery and then use the week after to get yourself on top form will work. (I speak as an ex-athlete).

The pools however are typical ships pools. The one at the stern is probably the best, quite deep. I don't remember the actual length but you will probably manage 3 to 4 strokes before turning which is less tha ideal.

You could always ask the captain if he could slow down a bit in the mornings and let you swim beside the ship. I would be interested to hear the response to that one!

I love to do laps and managed it when I was aboard the QM. I hooked my feet to a ladder rung and proceeded to swim the ocean while never really moving. I just swam for a certain length of time. The pool was not crowded so I was not a problem to anyone.

• 2 months later...

Another point to note is that the pools are not very warm - nothing like the nice warm temperatures that the pools are kept to on QE2!!! or at least they were not on my Nov Crossing last year.

I even went in a hot tub despite the cooler outside temperatures and would have gone in the pool if it had not been freezing cold!!! Even the 'Pavillion' pool was not very warm!!

Kind Regards

RJMS74

Archived