Cruise Ship Jobs and Staff

DanFromSyd

sorry just thought i'd make a correction.

i began my work in the british fleet from which you can obtain employment though their website and then since i was travelling in the UK was able to go to an interview and audition.

i got transfered to P&O australia and was only there ( P&O australia) one contract lasting 8 months

Its a shame that many people ask for other's opinions then contradict them, because they experienced a different system.

As you stated, not that you should of had to, you can find employment on the UK fleet through P&O UK directly, and many of these positions are advertised on their UK web site. http://www.pocruises.com/thecompany/recruit/home.htm for those not aware.

I wish you luck on Disney and hope you have as good a time with them, as you seem to have had with P&O, and its a shame that you feel forced off of a board that you have been using for some time.

due to the many doubts about my career i will no longer be posting on this board to avoid further confusion. I will be leaving in a weeks time to travel to the U.S anyway to begin my new job on the Magic.

i do feel offended that everyone had to be secretively keeping these doubts about me and should have asked me to confirmed my job. which i would have.

don't worry i hope you all enjoy your future cruises on P&O.

P.S i hope none of the P&O ships break down again while any of you are on it.

It is a shame Lulu that you won't be posting on this board anymore. :confused: I don't think anyone meant to upset you. We hope you will come back again, as I'm sure we all love to hear about what happens on the ship! :D

I am sorry if my comments in this thread upset anyone and Lulu I apologise wholeheartedly if my doubts are false. But in my defense i did come to my doubts after some long and detailed conversations with dancers and dance captains on both the Sun and Star

I have kept out of this but I feel that it is time to have a couple of words.Suey and myself have both talked to several dancers we both believed Lulu may not telling the whole truth we are not saying it may be based on fact.We where on the cruise Lulu stated she was in sick bay and again we talked dancers and not one indicated that any other dancer was sick you ask why would they ,remember this was a rough cruise and we asked how the team was going as we know at least one was sea sick but Lulu stated she spent the whole cruise sickthis dancer we know.She had danced at some shows.

I felt let Lulu live in her dream but I stand behind all Suey has said.

Unlike Suey I am not going to say sorry and if Lulu is a dancer I still believe that she does not always tell the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

nat153 you didnt have to attack me jeez!

could have just said read it for yourself itll be worth it or something jeez! interesting way of responding to a post.

you know your defensive nature of eply sounds alot like the lulu kid who says she works on ships. maybe its a scam to keep on posting on the boards!

ohhhhh conspiracy!!!

As you stated, not that you should of had to, you can find employment on the UK fleet through P&O UK directly, and many of these positions are advertised on their UK web site. http://www.pocruises.com/thecompany/recruit/home.htm for those not aware.

Yeah that is true mate, but not for a dancer. do you understand the amount of work that goes into rehearsing before the cast even makes it onto the ship? and the amount of auditioning the production team go through to pick there cast? noone could transfer straight onto a ship without already knowing every single step in every single dance of every single show.

take a look at Shake rattle and roll... most of you would have seen it... half a day is spent just on practicing the song "imagine" and the dancers stand still and dont move for the first 3 minutes!!!!

so i read it:rolleyes: . she does sound pretty suss.

why would someone do that i dunno i dont know who to believe!lol

oh wel if shes lied she had her fun. if not then shes probably pretty peeved! lol

so aussie dancer have u actually worked on ships as a dancer? howd did u get the job? was it fun? those shows look so fun

Yeah that is true mate, but not for a dancer. do you understand the amount of work that goes into rehearsing before the cast even makes it onto the ship? and the amount of auditioning the production team go through to pick there cast? noone could transfer straight onto a ship without already knowing every single step in every single dance of every single show.

take a look at Shake rattle and roll... most of you would have seen it... half a day is spent just on practicing the song "imagine" and the dancers stand still and dont move for the first 3 minutes!!!!

If that is the case then I stand corrected, but i've only been glancing at it occasionally since summer and the positions offered dont seem to change much.

Your best bet is to contact the cruise lines and be patient, it has taken my son 6 months from contacting a cruiseline to getting a ship with a suitable position

May I ask what position your son went for?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I was wondering if anyone has any experience in working on cruise ships or if people know the ins and outs of the industry.

In particular P&O Aus.

Im thinking about a see change...

Dan

Hi Dan,

You may have got yourself sorted already as this is an old post I am replying to (have been at sea for a long time followed by a long spell very sick in hospital) but if you need any help or advice with getting a job on a cruise ship then feel free to contact me off here and rack my brains. As I said, I've been really ill and won't be recovered enough to go back to work until about September so you have plenty of time to rack my brains.

I work for the UK side of P&O and love it to bits. I wish I'd done it years ago as it's a great life as long as you can handle not seeing loved ones for long periods. I came to P&O from Seabourn and the difference in the professionalism and the way the staff are treated by the company is amazing. I can't speak for the Aussie side of the firm but on the ship's I've worked on there is a real sense of family among the crew and pride in the job.

The DJs on our ships are actually ents officers in status and rank and they do get called on to do other ents officer duties when they're not DJing. It's hard work but the wages aren't bad, you do get time off to visit the ports but you work it out with the other ents officers as to who goes off on which port. That's how it works for P&O UK, how it's done elsewhere I don't know but I would guess it's pretty much the same (unless you work as a DJ for easycruise in which case you run the on-board shop as well)

Hope that helps and feel free to rack my brains if you want to know any more.

Phiil

• 2 years later...

Sorry to rehash a 2 year old thread but I thought it was the best place to ask.

One question. I am going to apply for a DJ / Host job. With 10 years of experience (on shore) 90% of my collection is on vinyl. I can transfer the bulk to CD and cut out all the unplayed tracks on albums, no problem.

The question is, do some ships have an onboard CD music library or MUST the DJ bring his own collection.

Thanks.

As far as I know the DJ's onboard are responsible for providing the music they play, and they have to have a very varied selection.

One thing I have seen them do is to download all their music onto a laptop and then they don't need to carry a heavy (and expensive) collection with them.

Feebee_71

My friends daughter has just won a place on Oceana as a dancer in the ships company....

The pando auditons were very hard, she has just graduated from a school of dancing in london and had already done work on stage in London and the suburbs, she was chosen from about 400 dancers, and was short-listed daily until in the last 10 ..hard audition, but shes there now on goes onboard in a couple of weeks.

Archived