Cruise Ship Jobs and Staff

DanFromSyd

yeah I found out about DJ jobs. One of the DJ's was leaving as he had had enough. 4.5 months at sea without a day off.

Got most of the info I need. They really seem to underpay the DJ's. Either that or the poor bloke I was talking too got a crap contract.

It seems then dont really pay them what they are worth.

They could earn a lot more money in Sydnay if they worked the number of hours they do.

They average about 60 hrs a week and work seven days. Thats a tough schedule for any DJ.

I did notice that he was very set and played a lot of the same stuff night after night... must be a sign of boredom or that he had had enough.

So I dont know about the dream of working the cruise industry. The DJ from the Sun said to speak to Demo, who I did and he was like if you want a job you've got it. We can arrange it no probs.

So they must be desperate... or it really is easier then it seems. I have some of the contacts for Sydney now and I'll have a think about it and decide...

Lulu... if your still around, do you know the name of the agency you used?

Cheers,

Dan

this guy i met on there also got offered a job with children.. he didnt take it because they said if we was 2 take it, he has to stay on the ship 4 the next 6 months without going home 1st so thats a bummer.. 1600 4 the 1st month.. not the best pay, but its alright considering food and a place 2 stay:)

yeah I found out about DJ jobs. One of the DJ's was leaving as he had had enough. 4.5 months at sea without a day off.

Got most of the info I need. They really seem to underpay the DJ's. Either that or the poor bloke I was talking too got a crap contract.

It seems then dont really pay them what they are worth.

They could earn a lot more money in Sydnay if they worked the number of hours they do.

They average about 60 hrs a week and work seven days. Thats a tough schedule for any DJ.

I did notice that he was very set and played a lot of the same stuff night after night... must be a sign of boredom or that he had had enough.

So I dont know about the dream of working the cruise industry. The DJ from the Sun said to speak to Demo, who I did and he was like if you want a job you've got it. We can arrange it no probs.

So they must be desperate... or it really is easier then it seems. I have some of the contacts for Sydney now and I'll have a think about it and decide...

Lulu... if your still around, do you know the name of the agency you used?

Cheers,

Dan

Did you take into account that your meals & accomodation were paid for? If you did, then the pay must be baaaad.

Karen

yeh thats why i found it to such a good job that it includes those costs plus your always going somewhere.

just to let you all know i've decided not to go back to P&O, instead am am going to the disney cruise line in america. it'll be a change but i hope its just as much fun as P&O.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to a security guy on the Sun last week. He was actually a prison gaurd but the prison was getting renovations or something, so he took 6 months off to work the cruise ships. He said it was great when he was on the day shift, like helping out with the tenders to the islands. But he said the night shift work wasn't so good. Especially when they had Schoolies cruises - it was like babysitting.

So Lulu_6622, what sort of qualifications do they look for with the entertainers/dancers? I have never done any professional training as a dancer, but I take a few dance classes in my spare time (begginers tap, modern jazz, rock 'n' roll, highland dancing - I know the last one is left field!), and i can hold a note. Do you need to have some sort of actual qualification and experience? And what sort of age are they looking at? Am I past my prime?

So Lulu_6622, what sort of qualifications do they look for with the entertainers/dancers? I have never done any professional training as a dancer, but I take a few dance classes in my spare time (begginers tap, modern jazz, rock 'n' roll, highland dancing - I know the last one is left field!), and i can hold a note. Do you need to have some sort of actual qualification and experience? And what sort of age are they looking at? Am I past my prime?

i think you will probably need abit more training but if you wanted to be one of the entertainers group and not one of the lead performers there's no need for vocal training. i'll give my personal experience of what i had done previously. 12 years of jazz/ballet, and tap and 8 years of irish dancing which is also pretty left field so don't worry about that and i had also done the teaching exams for jazz/ballet modern and all grade exams. so theres committment involved

but its my life and i love it and you shold definately put in the yards if its something you want to do because its the best time of my life

P.S i get to be Belle on the disney cruise line!!!!! i love it already

i have already left as i did not renew my contract. im going over there in mid march, and am so lucky usually for dacners and character spots they have to attend an in person audition, however, they held these on the 2nd of february and no suitable character for belle was found so,:D yay its me!!!:D

Congratulations lulu! That is sooooooo great! I love disney movies, and beauty and the beast would have to be one of my favourites. I bet you will make a great belle. Thanks so much for giving me an idea as to what I would actually need to do to be an entertainer. I think I may have left it a bit to late - 25 y/o and all. I will probably be qualified by, mmmm the age of 35 - don't think they will be keen on performers that old. Still, nice to dream:rolleyes:

i was intially looking for work just in the entertainment industry here. such as the upcoming production of the boy from oz in syd, brisbane and adelaide. but i love disney and able to be appart of that legacy i thought would be a greater opportunity.

i didnt look in hong kong disneyland. might be abit chaotic for my tastes, even after P&O!

Archived