What's the best way to pack underwater camera housing?

2BCruising

For all you divers and snorkelers, what is the best way to pack an underwater camera housing for a trip? I have a waterproof clear plastic hardcase for my digital camera that we're taking with us on a cruise in January. If I put it in my carry-on, should I wrap it? And also, should I close the case with the camera inside? Just curious to see what you do and if there are any issues with going through security at the airport.

I just put mine in my carryon. No wrap or anything else. I also put my strobe in, but I wrap that in bubble wrap. The camera is in the carryon as well, and not wrapped and not in the underwater housing. I've never had a problem and it's gone as far as Tahiti and back with me, plus to Hawaii twice.

I use a 20" rollaboard carryon. In it I have my laptop, all my underwater photos stuff, plus my wife's housing that she uses when snorkeling. All of batteries, chargers, tray/arms/strobe, everything goes in there. My wife carries all of the other stuff, like medicines, passports, airline tickets, etc. in her carryon. There is so much electronic junk in my carryon that it gets searched by TSA every time.

I put mine in my carry on as well. Camera is carried separately so I can use it during the trip. I don't close the housing when I fly, and if I did, I would take out the O-ring. I wouldn't want the pressure changes to make the housing hard to open. I've never had a problem with my housing as far as airport security goes. I get more looks for having my regular/computer in my carry on. The pony tank also has gotten some looks.

Plus, I put my housing in a small insulated pack, ie the lunch size about 6x9x5, or one 6 pack size. I take it in that onto the excursions with the camera in it. I load the camera on the ship to prevent sand or anything else from blowing about and sticking to the o-ring. It keeps the direct sun off the camera when out and about. It also prevents scratches when it's packed and traveling. I keep my spare o-ring and grease for the ring and soft lint free cloths stashed in there in a plastic bag.

Never thought about o-ring, but I have put mine, with camera enclosed, in my carry-on for a few years and never had any problems.
I don't think it is a problem with all housings. I think Ikelite housings are tough to open after flying.

Archived