review - Holiday inn Port of Miami

TrqoisWtrs

We booked the sail away package for one nite precruise 11/13. Had room on the 8th floor with view of ships. Member of Priority Club so was able to check in around noon, after our flight arrived in FLL at 11. Location was perfect, right across from Bayside Market. Small room, but clean. Walls are a bit thin, could hear people on both sides of us. Even though it was a Sunday night, the street noise was very loud in the room. Turns out the Miami Heat were playing, and as their arena is right across the street, lots of walking and car traffic. Almost non-stop whistles of the cops directing traffic. But once I went to sleep I have to say I didn't really wake up until the morning, so didn't bother me. Would assume it would be much less when there is no basketball game.

Also tried to grab dinner at Bongos Cafe (Gloria Estefan's place) which was also right across the street. Called first, and it was a 2 hour wait as they don't take reservations. So thought we could grab a drink at the bar and people watch, but when we arrived, they weren't even taking walk ups as 'the chef is so far behind.' Never heard that one before, seems like a poor way to run a business. So instead we ate at an Italian place along the marina over at Bayside. Good pizza! Then headed back to our room, but still not tired so went back down to the hotel bar and had that nite's special, some great chocolate martinis!

We also used the two Millionaire Row cruise tickets that came with our package. So-so on that. About an hour and a half long, too long for me. Saw a few houses from celebs - Shaq's and Gloria Estefan's, but would have rather spent the time shopping. :)

Breakfast included was the typical cold continental breakfast.

Also - when we went to grab a cab to the port, just grabbed the first one outside. Cab driver immediately started flirting and joking with us. As we drove away, I asked him the price and he quoted me $18 but laughing, so didn't take him seriously. He dropped us off at the ship and then seriously wanted the $18. We told him no way, that's about how much it is from the airport, (thanks to this board know its just about $5) and so my sister only gave him $7 and we walked away. He didn't really put up a fight so know he was trying to scam us. rat b*st*rd.:mad:

Would stay here again because of the great location, but pass on the sail away package, since been there and done that. :)

Archived