Kauai & Waimea Canyon Timetable

suziehmkr

Hello wonderful Hawaii experts!!

Trying to plan our days as best we can without causing too much stress.

My questions for you are:

How long will it take to drive from Lihue Airport (car rental) to the top of Waimea Canyon & back down? I understand that we should drive all the way up before stopping so we can get there before the fog comes in... and do our stopping & photos on the way down. I already have a note here that the last lookout is Pu'uokila... is this correct?

Is there anywhere to eat lunch up here, or will we need to figure something else out?

Next question... if we have time (depending on how long the canyon takes), I would like to drive down into Poipu and perhaps get a tiny bit of snorkeling or beach time in. How long will it take to get back from Poipu Beach to the Lihue airport to drop off our car?

I live in California and the time it takes to get somewhere isn't always easy to gauge and not knowing Hawaii at all, it is hard to see how much time we have. Thanks bunches for any information you might have.

I am planning to do the same thing when I'm on Kauai next year. From the info that I have gotten, it is 1 1/2 hr from the cruise ship to the top of wiamea and 1/2 hr from poipu beach to the cruise ship. The airport is about 2 miles from the cruise ship. I hope that this helps. I am trying to figure out how late the shuttles run from the car rentals back to the ship. Any idea? I am trying to avoid or limit my calls to the rental places in kauai.

There is a restaurant (and a small general store) at Koke'e lodge, up at around 4000 feet. Whether the Kalalau or Puuokila lookouts are better is up to the weather gods. It is generally less cloudy (or foggy, cuz you're looking down) in the morning at the lookouts. If you get there and it's clouded out, wait a bit. I've seen it go from totally cloudy to totally clear in under 15 minutes. Of course, it's also possible that the total clouds can change to driving rain. You never know.

If you're under a tight time schedule, I tend to recommend you drive to the end of the road first, see the sights there, then make your way back while stopping at those points of interest that intrigue you the most. This way you have an easier time adjusting for the required return time.

Susie,

When we were in kauai we did the Waimea Canyon tour but by bus.... I can't remember how long it took but we did it in the morning... it was awesome and by mid morning, a little foggy but not bad at all.......be sure to include the turn out spot of the Blowholes of Hanapepe.... very awesome..... I can't remember the name of the one road but soemthing about the trees... it was cool.....

Thanks for the replies! It does look like we will get both in, since we don't have to be back at the ship until 5:30. Excellent!! We are so close to our cruise time.... although you wouldn't know it since the countdown clocks aren't working. hee hee

suziehmkr

when you get back, can you post if you were able to do both. I also want to go snorkeling after going to wiamea. I also want to try to get in wailua waterfalls. Can you let me know how late we can return the car.

Thanks,

Judy

Judy,

I will definitely be posting as much information with each port as soon as I can when I return. I imagine the car return would depend on the agency - depending on their shuttle runs. But, it also seems close enough to take a taxi back to the ship from the airport if things are tight.

But - I will definitely post in January.

The only real concern would be traffic in the early morning, but that depends on which day of the week you're there. You'll also be outbound from Lihue, toward the canyon, so that will be better. The estimate of about a half hour from Poipu to the airport sounds about right. Just typing this brings back good memories. Say hi to the chickens for me.:D

Chickens? OK - now I am very curious!!! We are actually on Kauai on a Wednesday morning (between Christmas & New Years) and the ship doesn't even dock until 8am.... and by the time we get our car and get out of the airport, I imagine it will be close to 9am.... Now, what is the deal with the chickens?

Not kidding at all. There are thousands of them....some of the most beautiful roosters you'll ever see. Their ancestors were released into the wild by hurricane Iniki several years ago and they've prospered. I've seen all the way from the shore to the top of the canyon. If you take lunch with you to have somewhere, they'll be more than happy to join you....and they'll bring the kids.:D

Archived