Fanning Island - Napili Beach accessability

Chilcotin

We are going to be on Fanning Island and really want to go on the Napili Beach excursion. We are on a March sailing of the Norwegian Wind.

Unfortunately, I have multiple sclerosis and have some difficulty walking; I have a new brace for my leg to help me walk. I also have a walker and a wheelchair.

Is the pathway to the beach quit uneven or could my husband push me in a wheelchair or could I use my walker?

I really want to go there as Gilligan's Island was one of my favorite TV shows as a kid. :)

Any tips would be would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The path from the dock to the beach is quite uneven and rocky. It will not be easy to walk. Sounds like you should be in a wheelchair to be pushed rather than trying to walk yourself.

(Interestingly I went on a school "nature" field trip with my gr. 3 daughter yesterday and at the end of the day a project they did was "repair earth". All the kids were given a bucket and shoveled woodchips and leaves, to spread on the pathway where we walked. It helped to replenish the path and keep it from eroding further.)

It is about 1/2 mile of walk from the dock to the beach. If you think you can handle this 1/2 mile, it is a beautiful beach to get to. It's really beautiful. If you do get there, the beach is very shallow, so you could sit in the water, or lay on a foam float with your husband beside you.

There is no food served, so you'll have to bring some yourself, or get to the other island before they pack up the BBQ food (around 1pm?)

If you're a big fan of Gilligan's Island, I recommend that when you come to Oahu that you take a trip to Kaneohe and look out into the bay. The small island that you see off shore in Kaneohe Bay is Coconut Island (a University of Hawaii marine laboratory) and is the island that you see during the intro to Gilligan's Island.

Spleen

We are going to be on Fanning Island and really want to go on the Napili Beach excursion. We are on a March sailing of the Norwegian Wind.

Unfortunately, I have multiple sclerosis and have some difficulty walking; I have a new brace for my leg to help me walk. I also have a walker and a wheelchair.

Is the pathway to the beach quit uneven or could my husband push me in a wheelchair or could I use my walker?

I really want to go there as Gilligan's Island was one of my favorite TV shows as a kid. :)

Any tips would be would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Although we didn't go to the more secluded beach on Fanning, here is a link to photos I took on my hawaiian cruise in '02 which included Fanning Island.

http://www.pbase.com/marc_langsam/vacation_02

Photocruiser

Archived