Chen Rio area okay after hurricane?

PyeDog

We just came back from a 10 day trip on tuesday 11/22. We hired a taxi driver to take us to the east side. It only cost 450 peso [about 45 bucks] and he waited around all day while we sipped margaritas at Mexcalito's. Then cruised down the road toward Chen Rio. Not sure if chen rio is oficially open yet, but you can get there and there were workers milling about. I'm pretty sure that Coconuts it open, though we didn't stop in.

We go down to Cozumel for a couple weeks every year. This is the first year that I did not rent a car. Even with buying all the insurance, your exposure is very very high. [Read this post about an accident] http://www.travelnotes.cc/tchatters/viewtopic.php?t=4965

Even as a former stock car driver, I am still somewhat uneasy driving there. I can't imagine someone with less skill. It's nothing like driving in the US. It's more like the old computer game Frogger. People coming at you from all directions in town.

Last year someone keyed my rental from the back to the front. I turned the car in after dark and dirty and escaped without issue. I also paid with a low limit credit card... just above the rental cost ;-) . I think I actually saved a bunch of money just taking cabs everywhere this year... and didn't have to worry about having that 3rd margarita at mescalito's.

Mail me if you have more questions

Don

Someone had the same question on Playa Bonita...it is on again, off again as far as the road being open. It was open last week to small vehicles (no buses), closed on Sunday at Coconuts but heard it reopened this week.

OK...drove to the other side yesterday just before sunset. Went the southern route till RASTA'S and the cop wouldnt let me go any furthur as there was construction/road repair going on. After a while though, he let himself be convinced that I needed to drive through and check things out for myself! Playa Bonita and Chen Rio were not open yesterday though Coconuts and Rasta's were-are. Here's some pics....

50884027508_0_ALB.jpg

Awwww...Tom, wonderful pics! And the one of the baby is not bad, either. Looking forward to seeing you Monday 12/19. We enjoyed chatting with you last December while our boys attempted the iceberg. I think they have some unfinished business with climbing that thing - must be harder than it looks......Thanks for taking the time to post.

As of 12-01-05 the road at the south point still had the guard stopping traffic going north to Chen Rio.

Coming in from the north side was no problem and Chen Rio was serving great food, with a great view and beach.

Grand Princess, 11-26-05 out of Galveston

Archived