Question for Mr Barbados - 8 hours: a beach and some shopping?

City_Woman

We will be in Barbados for the first time and we have been reading the tourism site that indicated there are tons of taxis at the port.

We are thinking of filling our day with a couple hours at a beach and then some shopping in Bridgetown and then finish off at the duty free shopping area at the docks.

What beach would you recommend?

Should we just hop a taxi there and then to Bridgetown and then back to the ship?

What do you think?

CityWoman

We will be in Barbados for the first time and we have been reading the tourism site that indicated there are tons of taxis at the port.

We are thinking of filling our day with a couple hours at a beach and then some shopping in Bridgetown and then finish off at the duty free shopping area at the docks.

What beach would you recommend?

Should we just hop a taxi there and then to Bridgetown and then back to the ship?

What do you think?

CityWoman

Sounds like a nice way to spend the day.

I am most familiar with the beaches on the NW of the island, as that’s where we live. Only getting a few leisure hours these days, we make it close.

However, I am persuaded to suggest another beach that is fairly close to the ship.

Accra (or Rockley, as I know it). We’ve been there a number of times over the years and it was always quite nice. The full-time islanders recommend it and I think it would suit your requirements nicely.

It is perhaps 15-20 minutes from the ship. Maybe a US$15 taxi ride for up to four in the cab. You can also do the bus quite easily for US$.75 each.

If you want activities, music, food and a nice beach, The Boatyard is closer, but it depends on what you want, quasi-serenity of non-stop-fun.

The beaches on the NW part of the island, Paynes, Mullins, Heywods are less crowded and more serene as are the beaches on the East Coast. Depends on if you want close and cheap or distant and expensive to get there.

If you go to Accra, Bridgetown is close for your shopping; as is The Boatyard.

Grabbing a taxi would probably be the best way to see what you want in a timely manner. Not to worry, they are everywhere! :)

Archived