Montego Bay. Can't decide

Drrandall

Single dad here on the Breeze July 9th with my 2 daughters, 7 and 12.

I have every thing taken care of. Cheers, bottomless bubbles, Passion Island via twister in Cozumel, Stingray and turtle swim in Grand Caymen, but I can't decide what to do in Montego Bay.

Anyone recconnected something cool.

Was thinking of just taking a cab to Dr Caves beach. But I want to do something fun. Besides Dunn's River falls.

Any advice would be great.

We (me, husband and 6 yo daughter) cruised this past March and stopped in Falmouth. I hired a guide for the day, Errol Bowen, who I got as a rec from this site, and it was honestly our favorite port. Errol was lovely. He was waiting for us when we got off our ship and took us to Konoko Falls & Park, a beautiful private beach, and a great restaurant w/ authentic Jamaican jerk chicken. He even stopped on the side of the road and bought us some sugar cane to try. I would highly recommend him!!!

Errol Bowen

errol@traveljamaicatours.com

http://www.traveljamaicatours.com

1(876) 855-5919

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We (me, husband and 6 yo daughter) cruised this past March and stopped in Falmouth. I hired a guide for the day, Errol Bowen, who I got as a rec from this site, and it was honestly our favorite port. Errol was lovely. He was waiting for us when we got off our ship and took us to Konoko Falls & Park, a beautiful private beach, and a great restaurant w/ authentic Jamaican jerk chicken. He even stopped on the side of the road and bought us some sugar cane to try. I would highly recommend him!!!

Errol Bowen

www.traveljamaicatours.com

1(876) 855-5919

Perfect. Thanks Shelbel. This was exactly what I was looking for.

You can't go wrong with Errol. Our day in Jamaica was the highlight of our trip due to Errol!! Let me know if you want more details, Drrandall. e8186d05c5c678f69bdde57a87b9d05e.jpg4ac9d3e0fc000f9e707d5420ae57ad9c.jpg10a1002a53f4661b9afc73854e7ec5fd.jpgfe95da9fe390e56f2a1b05f8482976d5.jpg

Errol just sent me an email. He said it's $230 for transportation. Konoko falls is $20 for adults and $13 for kids. Then lunch and shopping cost. We're your kids okay with a lot of driving? As far as tipping Errol? $30 to $50? Was hoping to spend less in Jamaica. Lol. Guess not.

Errol Bowen

http://www.traveljamaicatours.com

1(876) 855-5919

How long was the drive to Konoko from the Falmouth port?

I've been chatting with Errol. Around 2 hours. But we stop here and there on the way(beach, shopping, restaurants). Seems like a great guy. So thankful I don't have to go to Dunn's River falls with 5000 people.

Errol just sent me an email. He said it's $230 for transportation. Konoko falls is $20 for adults and $13 for kids. Then lunch and shopping cost. We're your kids okay with a lot of driving? As far as tipping Errol? $30 to $50? Was hoping to spend less in Jamaica. Lol. Guess not.

The driving was OK, since you drive to the furthest point first and then make your way (stopping a couple of times) back to the ship. Not super cheap, but I think the personalized service is worth it. Lunch at Scotchies was very reasonable. I think the tip you mention is appropriate. We may have paid him a little more, but we got caught up in the moment, since he was such a nice guy.

You guys from Denver too? Saw the Broncos shirt.

I sent Errol a message yesterday.

Looks like a blast. How much money should I plan on?

No, MN, but my husband grew up in Nebraska and is a big Broncos fan :).

The driving was OK, since you drive to the furthest point first and then make your way (stopping a couple of times) back to the ship. Not super cheap, but I think the personalized service is worth it. Lunch at Scotchies was very reasonable. I think the tip you mention is appropriate. We may have paid him a little more, but we got caught up in the moment, since he was such a nice guy.

Nice. I don't mind paying $100 each for an all day tour with a nice guy like Errol. Was thinking this would be my least favorite port. Now it's the one I'm most looking forward to. Thanks shelbel.

Nice. I don't mind paying $100 each for an all day tour with a nice guy like Errol. Was thinking this would be my least favorite port. Now it's the one I'm most looking forward to. Thanks shelbel.

Awesome! That is exactly how I felt - was not super excited about Jamaica but turned out to be our favorite port! When are you going? You will have to let me know about your day in Jamaica. Best wishes!!!

Awesome! That is exactly how I felt - was not super excited about Jamaica but turned out to be our favorite port! When are you going? You will have to let me know about your day in Jamaica. Best wishes!!!

We are leaving July 9th to the 16th. Just got Shingles 3 days ago for the first time in my life, My doc said I should be fine by the time we leave. Sucks.

I'll let you know how it was for sure!

• 3 weeks later...

Have you looked at Sunscape Splash In Mo Bay? 5 mins from the ship. Pools, lazy river, non motorized sports, etc. And, of course the beach there! Im sure your kids would love it.

I'm glad Shelbel told me about Errol. He has been really helpful with our trip. Returns our emails daily. I'm looking forward to a local excited to give us a private tour and teach us about the Jamaica way of life. He is going to take us to all the fun places

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Damn dude, did you die in Jamaica?! I must know! Lol

Lol. Sorry. Been so busy since I've been back. Our cruise was great. Jamaica was my least favorite. Errol our guide was a nice guy. Very informative the first few hours. Konoko falls was really nice. We were the only ones there. Had the whole place to ourselves. But I think the 2 hour drive there and back was a little much. We only stopped at Scotchies for lunch. Was so packed. Glad Errol new the people who worked there or we would have waited 2 hours to eat. Jamaica is still the same. People begging were ever you go. I bought some things from people on the side of the road. But so many rude responses when you don't buy. Like "why you gonna do me likethat?"). When you stop it's like people every where areally trying to open the tour vans windows just to get in to sell you stuff. Grand Caymen was beautiful. Sting ray tour is a must. The turtle farm was a joke though. Only get 1.5 hours to see something that needs 5 hours time.Definitely the highlight of our trip. Cozumel was good. Twister boat was awesome.

That was my second and last time to Jamaica. My least favorite island in the Caribbean. And I've been to over 15 islands.

Want to take another cruise next December. Might go more south next time.

Lol. Sorry. Been so busy since I've been back. Our cruise was great. Jamaica was my least favorite. Errol our guide was a nice guy. Very informative the first few hours. Konoko falls was really nice. We were the only ones there. Had the whole place to ourselves. But I think the 2 hour drive there and back was a little much. We only stopped at Scotchies for lunch. Was so packed. Glad Errol new the people who worked there or we would have waited 2 hours to eat. Jamaica is still the same. People begging were ever you go. I bought some things from people on the side of the road. But so many rude responses when you don't buy. Like "why you gonna do me likethat?"). When you stop it's like people every where areally trying to open the tour vans windows just to get in to sell you stuff. Grand Caymen was beautiful. Sting ray tour is a must. The turtle farm was a joke though. Only get 1.5 hours to see something that needs 5 hours time.Definitely the highlight of our trip. Cozumel was good. Twister boat was awesome.

That was my second and last time to Jamaica. My least favorite island in the Caribbean. And I've been to over 15 islands.

Want to take another cruise next December. Might go more south next time.

Thanks for the reply! Im doing the same intenary you are in october. I was REALLY looking forward to Jamaica at first but i've been reading up on it quite a bit and most people say they feel extremely unsafe there. Some people say to relax and it's just the culture over there and most of the violence is gang related and others saying that you're basically playing russian roulette there and tourists are getting robbed and raped and even killed. I'm sure it's not a hellhole but it doesnt sound awesome either. We are planning on going to doctors cove beach but I just dont know now. We are definitely going to spend most of our time and money in the caymans, I've already have a tour set up for the reef and stingray sandbar and I would honestly just stay on the boat in jamaica and go to a nicer beach in cozumel but ive been to cozumel so many times I want to do something different.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and happy cruising !

Thanks for the reply! Im doing the same intenary you are in october. I was REALLY looking forward to Jamaica at first but i've been reading up on it quite a bit and most people say they feel extremely unsafe there. Some people say to relax and it's just the culture over there and most of the violence is gang related and others saying that you're basically playing russian roulette there and tourists are getting robbed and raped and even killed. I'm sure it's not a hellhole but it doesnt sound awesome either. We are planning on going to doctors cove beach but I just dont know now. We are definitely going to spend most of our time and money in the caymans, I've already have a tour set up for the reef and stingray sandbar and I would honestly just stay on the boat in jamaica and go to a nicer beach in cozumel but ive been to cozumel so many times I want to do something different.

My advice.... When traveling to Jamaica on a cruise.... I'd only book through your cruise company. No disrespect to Errol. But we felt more safe and had more fun in the Caymen Islands and Cozumel.