Kristiansand steam train

can't seem to find any answers so I hope you can help me out, we will be visiting Kristiansand for a day ( cruise ship ) and I noticed it is a lovely place to walk around we love to explore and hike on our own

someone told me to get the steam train Grovane-Royknes that would be a beautiful train ride.

( we have already booked a train ride in Flam ) I see the cruise agent offers this train ride but I wonder if we can book it ourselves. I found their website Setesdalsbanen but cannot figure out if we can book it on our own

Any idea ? and is it really worth doing this ? or would it be similar as the one we booked in Flam

( there is a lot to see in Kristiansand for a day )

thanks for your time

best regards from Belgium

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

Hi fvandewouver.

The train ride is very scenic. I don't know how it compares to Flam as I haven't done that but most of the rail line goes alongside a river so it's very nice scenery.

Depending on your length of time in port you will have time to explore Kristiansand after the train ride (our stop was 9:00 - 17:00). It's quite easy to do yourself by taking local bus line 30 from the city to the Grovane stop. The train station is across the road. You can buy tickets inside the station in Grovane (140 kronor = 15 euro). It is best going both ways. Just make sure the train is running on that day (usually on Wednesday and the weekend).

If you are there on Sunday take the 11am train. Turnaround at Royknes is 30 minutes, that's all the time you need, there is not much there, maybe a food stall. If you sit on the train on the right side going forward is the best view (although the first 5 mins it's better on the left).

The cruise shore excursion (Princess) only went one way and a bus picked up the passengers at Royknes.

You can take the same bus 30 back to Kristiansand.

I'll try to upload some photos if you're interested.

Wow thank you so much for this information ☺ we are there on a Tuesday and according the website train is not running, so I guess NCL has hired it as a private booking (much more expensive) tour we need to decide to go along with them or not we would love to see some pictures Again thank you for your time Best regards from Belgium

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, sounds like a charter which will mean there is no way of doing it independently, which will mean, unfortunately, more cost.

You'll have to decide if you want to do this and the Flam or just the Flam and have a look around Kristiansand itself.

Yeah, sounds like a charter which will mean there is no way of doing it independently, which will mean, unfortunately, more cost.

You'll have to decide if you want to do this and the Flam or just the Flam and have a look around Kristiansand itself.

Thanks it is clear now we have booked the Flam train ride and will walk on our own in Kristiansand