Ginger Root Pills- What strength do you buy? How many do you take?

b8tzm

Have heard varying amounts to take and strength (MGs) to buy. Can someone it worked for tell me what they took & how much? I also heard you should start taking them a few days before cruise is that true? THANKS

I took them...I did not use them until later on in the cruise though, when I figured out the Bonine knocked me out! I took 2 in the morning and if I felt any symptoms I would take another. I don't have the bottle here with me at work but I can look tonight for more detail if you would like. It worked very well and I am quite prone to seasickness.

We were on the MIracle a few weeks ago always ahead of a tropical system, the ship rocked and rolled the whole time. I am not prone to sickness but at times felt queasy. I started taking bonine, 2 in the morning and 1 later in the day. I continued to take for several days after and experienced none of the rocking that I do after the cruise. Do not know about ginger but bonine worked and no side effects.

I too am very interested in using Ginger for motion sickness. Does it make you fell yucky at all? On our last cruise, I had to take Bonine (I didn't know about Ginger). It worked with the sick feeling, but it made me feel awful and weird. :( I didn't know which was worse, being sick or feeling knocked out. Bonine nor Dramamine non- drowsy does not work for me. I guess I am very sensitive to medicines. Any info on Ginger pills would be wonderful.

Thanks

When used to prevent nausea, the general recommendation for adults is 1,000 milligrams of ginger in capsule form, taken 30 minutes before travel. Following the initial dose, one to two more 500-milligram capsules can be taken as needed every four hours, with a recommended maximum adult dosage of 4 grams (4,000 milligrams) per day. For children, parents should consult a pediatrician about safe dosages or other factors before administering ginger or any other supplement or medication.

SLL - Ginger tablets do not have any side effects that I am aware of. I too am sensitive to medications.

So did you take them before your trip? Or did you only take them when you felt sickly? How long did it take after taking them for you to notice a difference? Sorry about all the questions. I am glad to hear that there is something we can take that doesn't space us out. Can you buy them at Wal Marts or only at a Health Food Store? Thanks so much.

So did you take them before your trip? Or did you only take them when you felt sickly? How long did it take after taking them for you to notice a difference? Sorry about all the questions. I am glad to hear that there is something we can take that doesn't space us out. Can you buy them at Wal Marts or only at a Health Food Store? Thanks so much.

Wal-Mart sells Ginger tablets also. Look in the vitamin section

I took the ginger the evening we started having rough seas. I could almost imagine myself feeling green and I didn't want to take a chance. I don't know if it was all in my head or what, but it didn't bother me any more after about 20 minutes. Some people who are really worried about getting seasick will start taking stuff the day before. You can, but I did not. I don't like taking anything so I waited to see if I really needed it. I have seen the ginger at CVS and Walgreens. Never looked at Wal-Mart but they have a huge selection of vitamins, etc...so I would imagine they carry it.

I don't leave land without ginger! I also take them when I feel nauseated, or when I am traveling by car for long periods. I take 1000mg at a time, before sailaway, and then as needed. Everyone is always asking for them, so I keep them with me at all times on the ship... my mother, who swore by dramamine, was hooked on them a few weeks ago... they work QUICK and no drowsiness or side effects, you can have cocktails and it won't affect you... I get them at GNC for around $7 and it is enough to last several cruises, and give them to whomever needs them :D

I found just eating crackers (or anything dry) worked for first thing in the morning. Eating small frequent meals throughout the day and not allowing myself to get hungry helped too.

The patches and the pills made me too sleepy. I've never tried Ginger, but I will before I leave on the cruise.

Why take drugs or pills you may not need? We travel and cruise a lot and we swear by Relief Bands (http://www.reliefband.com/main.html) . My wife and daughter used to get motion sick all the time, especially on simulator type rides (and cruises) until we found these.

Note that these AREN'T those little elastic bands (called sea bands) with balls that you get at Walmart (we didn't have much success with those). Relief Bands are electronic "wristwatch-looking" things that are the ONLY FDA approved device for motion sickess and nausea.

The advantages over drugs are:

1. No side effects

2. Only use it if you need it

3. You can use it AFTER you get symptoms

4. It works incredibly fast (within a few minutes)

5. You can dial up just as much relief as you need.

These things are fantastic and well worth the price.

LOL Mark, I knew that was coming... and word for word!! You must have that post saved somewhere for reference!! LOL! The poster asked about ginger pills ;) You are starting to sound like a walking advertisement... are you getting a cut of that $90??? :p

One poster buys at Walmart 550mg take 2 every 12 hours. Thats 1100mg

Another poster buys at Walmart 550mg take 1 every ?

Same mg from same store and different dosage?????

I think I'll stick to my local health food store where I'm not dealing with a teenager stocking the shelves. Granted, it's only ginger but original poster is asking for recommended dosage.

My recommendation would be - don't get it at Walmart. Buy your boat shoes there - stick to the health food store or at least a real drugstore for your ginger.

I think I'll stick to my local health food store where I'm not dealing with a teenager stocking the shelves. Granted, it's only ginger but original poster is asking for recommended dosage.

My recommendation would be - don't get it at Walmart. Buy your boat shoes there - stick to the health food store or at least a real drugstore for your ginger.

I didn't deal with a teenager asked the pharmacist who said there is no FDA regulation of herbals. One brand was Rexall and the other Natures Bounty. Rexall is 550mg , 100 in a bottle and says take 1 and the Natures Bounty said take 1 or 2 with a meal if I remember correct. Not sure what was in the bottle 50 or a 100. This isn't rocket scientist anyway but if you are more comfortable go to your health store for sure. Have a great trip !

Sorry I just checked must've been a typo the ones from WalMart have 100 and say take 1 twice a day with meals. Based on info posted here I didnt need clerk' s help. By the way the last time I went into a health store for help the kid working there was more worried about the smoothie machine than helping us. Any way sorry for mis statements those don't mean I shouldn't have picked them up when I bought my boat shoes. Different strokes for different folks.

Archived