Tipping question

macgirl

I'm trying to remember how this worked on our last cruise. We did the automatic tipping, but still remember envelopes/vouchers showing up in our cabin that we had to distribute.

Is there any way to avoid having to do that distribution? If we don't distribute the coupons, do the appropriate staff still get the tips? I mean if it's charged directly to our card, I assume that means RCCL will automatically distriubute the tips, is that correct?

I know a lot of you like to hand deliver the tips, and that's wonderful. I just find it a pain and would like it to be fully automatic - just let RCCL charge us and do the distribution.

So I guess my question is - if we ignore the envelopes/coupons - will RCCL just charge us and take care of it for us?

THANKS!

I think most people like to present the envelopes themselves with a personal and sincere Thank You at the end of the cruise. However, I'm sure that the tips will be credited to the appropriate staff. Staff may not be aware that you have tipped and wonder if they failed in some way. After all the great personal service I've always received, I don't find it a "pain" to leave the cabin steward's envelope in the cabin and give it personally to the dining room wait staff.

I always tip in cash. It lets me thank the crew member in person and it also allows me to adjust the tip (up or down) as appropriate.

It also lessens the damage to my credit card after the cruise; yes, I know you pay for it either way, but I'd rather pay it up front than be charged later.

Also, I don't know if this is true on Royal Caribbean, but on some cruise lines, all the tips that are charged automatically go into a pool and then are divied up afterwards. By tipping in cash, I make sure that the person I want to receive the tip gets all of it and it's not disbursed through a pool.

Archived