Calling All Divers...

VABeach

I'm leaving on a cruise in less than three weeks and need some help!

I have an opportunity to take an Non-Certified SCUBA/Beginner SCUBA dive on my next trip. (Have done the SNUBA twice, am not certified).

I have narrowed the decission down to: St. Thomas or St. Maarten. Since not all reefs are equal, could someone please direct me to the one that will be the most scenic?

Thank you so much for your help.

While I can't answer your question as far comparing dives in St Thomas with St Maarten, I can share my experience with you. My son and I cruised this past August. He is a certified scuba diver, I am not. He wanted to do a dive with me, so we did the Beginners Scuba dive in St Maarten. I can tell you it was the HIGHLIGHT of our trip. We enjoyed it so much so that we are already looking at the beginner dives for our Destiny cruise next year. I'm sure you will enjoy which ever you choose.

I dove in St Thomas last year as my first (and only so far)dive ever --- it was awesome! I was contemplating whether to do the snuba or dive. DH and his friend wanted to dive, so we did. I couldn't convince anyone else to do the snuba so I too went diving (something I always wanted to do, but at last minute was starting to chicken out) I'm so glad I did. Turned out, DH and his friend were about ready to back out once we were in the water. (didn't find that out until later) Once they saw me ready to go, they were not about to let "a girl" have all the glory of diving so they went. They took us to Coki (probably spelled wrong) beach. It is also where they do the Snuba, snorkeling and other activities. We dove approx 25-30 ft. It was DH, his friend, me and the instructor as our group. She took us out to the reef and showed us a bunch of cool stuff. Dive instructor took picture of DH and I just as a HUGE fish went by us --- ended up being last year's Christmas card. We went in between hurricanes. We were first ship there in over a week so the fish were hungry. We literally had to push through the fish in order to get over to the reef because as soon as we went under, the fish wanted to be fed. We had a blast and now will probably dive in Grand Caymen in Feb.

Thank you so much for the replys!!

About Grand Cayman, that was the first place I did the SNUBA dive, and it was fun because it was my first time. They took us out to a Shipwreck. There was no coral and no fish. The "shipwreck" was so-so. Basically, I'm glad it was my first because I might have been dissapointed if I had gone to Cozumel first. Maybe if you go out on your own you could find a better spot. I took the ship SNUBA excursion...

Has anyone done both that could give an actual comparsion? I know Cozumel could be hard to top, but I'd like to take the one that is the closest. :D

Thanks again.

Archived