Galaxy: Panama Cruise - April 1, 2006

SPARKY123

Hi, I am booked on the Western Caribbean/Panama Cruise April 1st. I am interested in learning more about the better tours that can be arranged in Costa Rica and in Panama. My biggest concern is that if you arrange a tour in Panama, do you miss out on going through the locks? Or, do you go through the locks, leave for your tour and then catch up with the ship in Colon at the Pier?
Also, I have cruised several times and have always booked an inside cabin. I've read that the inside cabins on the Galaxy are fine, but would love to hear feedback.. Thanks!

Tours depart via tenders from the Galaxy while it is at anchor in Gatun Lake (after passing through the Gatun Locks early in the morning). The only thing you will miss if you take a tour is the Galaxy's return trip back though the Gatun Locks.

We took this same cruise last January and had a great time. This visit to Panama (our third) we took the "Grand Tour of Panama" tour that visits the Gatun Locks, and then goes on to an Indian Village. Very interesting tour, but you really don't see much of Panama.

During a previous visit to Panama (Summit), we took the Ocean to Ocean Train Tour, "dome car" version. Excellent tour! The better of these two tours by far. During this tour you will get to see the Pacific side of the Canal including the Mira Flores Locks, Bridge of the Americas, Canal Headquarters, and a distant view of Panama City. Very easy way to see more of Panama.

I cannot comment on the inside cabins; we had a Sky Suite this trip, and have always had an outside cabin.

Tours depart via tenders from the Galaxy while it is at anchor in Gatun Lake (after passing through the Gatun Locks early in the morning). The only thing you will miss if you take a tour is the Galaxy's return trip back though the Gatun Locks.

We took this same cruise last January and had a great time. This visit to Panama (our third) we took the "Grand Tour of Panama" tour that visits the Gatun Locks, and then goes on to an Indian Village. Very interesting tour, but you really don't see much of Panama.

During a previous visit to Panama (Summit), we took the Ocean to Ocean Train Tour, "dome car" version. Excellent tour! The better of these two tours by far. During this tour you will get to see the Pacific side of the Canal including the Mira Flores Locks, Bridge of the Americas, Canal Headquarters, and a distant view of Panama City. Very easy way to see more of Panama.

I cannot comment on the inside cabins; we had a Sky Suite this trip, and have always had an outside cabin.

We did the canopy tour at the Gamboa resort. Waste of time. Inlaws did the railroad crossing and loved it.

for Costa Rica go to the ports message board for Costa Rica and look up Oscar Brown he has serveral tours, we did the ziplining and tortuguero canals, great price. It also included tour of banana plantation and an animal preserve where I got to hold a baby spider monkey.

Archived