Keeping One's Composure

MollyBrown

Any tips on how to behave with reservations agents and the like these days? I try to be polite and patient, but when one has to run around and do a great deal of work because they tell you the wrong thing, and mistakes are made, and one is confronted with a disinterested attitude, or worse, rudeness...as if we have done something wrong by being a little bit annoyed or impatient---(bad customer!), how is one supposed to react?

Actually, usually the agents at Cunard are very polite and helpful, but it's those who are not on occasion that make you feel that the burden is on you to be patient and completely relaxed and composed. (Gee, if my tone isn't right will I get a bad table in the dining room?)

But guess what, the customer has problems too. We get cranky too sometimes. Yes, we're human too.

I guess the lesson is, when in doubt, always keep your cool.

I usually begin by having 100% of my information to date in front of me and whatever other information I have gleaned from various sources re: better deals etc. Then I try to ask the agent about their weekend, the holidays, the weather etc to get the conversation on a personal basis and relaxed before I push into what I want or need. From that point on I don't give up even if it requires asking for a supervisor or higher. Rarely do I have any problems at that point and I always ask for names etc. and I write them down along with extension numbers so I can return to the scene of the crime so to speak.

Any tips on how to behave with reservations agents and the like these days? I try to be polite and patient, but when one has to run around and do a great deal of work because they tell you the wrong thing, and mistakes are made, and one is confronted with a disinterested attitude, or worse, rudeness...as if we have done something wrong by being a little bit annoyed or impatient---(bad customer!), how is one supposed to react?

Remind yourself of a few things. I make mistakes, as do all of us. I try not to be arrogant, so the humble pie isn't quite as hard to swallow when I pull a real boner! But I have done some real doozie! Hurtful things, even, by mistake! I started in customer service over 26 years ago with the phone company. (I am a cellular technican now- but I still sympathize with people I help) Back then in the days of the Bell System, we had excellent training in how to deal with people. Sadly, few businesses and call centers do that today. We were also highly professional and well paid. One thing my instructor taught me was to kill them with kindness. When they call you names, insult your parentage and treat you shabbily and swear at you, find some way to agree with them on somethng, no matter how small. "I'm sorry you feel that way, Mr Customer" or "I'm sorry you had such a bad experience." I find it works just as well in reverse with surly reservations agents, sales people and so on. Try to walk a mile in their moccasins. Say, look, I'm sure you have your share of angry, demanding customers. It must be hard booking all of these people for fabulous cruises all the time, when you know you will not be on it! And some people can be rude and haugty! Everyone makes mistakes. Lord knows, *I* do!, let's go back over this once more, so I can be sure I have the right information this time. I know you're trying, and I appreciate your patience with me. I write slow, so please bear with me.

When you treat someone kindly and try to empathize, they feel lower than a snake's belly for treating you badly. Most people don't mean to be rude. Maybe the last customer they had treated them with disdain, or their supervisor just announced they had to work OT, and they really wanted to get home early tonight. Maybe they just quit smoking! or Caffeine! Maybe they're pregnant, or just got a call about their mammogram. We never know what others are experiencing.

If you treat people nicely, no matter how poorly they treat you, they will feell like "you-know-what," for treating such a nice person so badly before.

I know it is hard to swallow it when you know you are right. Gloat about it to someone else later! I know I do! But this will likely get you want tyou want. And isn't that the point?

P.S. Rememebr these people are usually not paid all that well,. especially compared to someone booking a luxury cruise! They're under a lot of pressure to get you off the phone and take the next call. Labor is most business's highest expense. Quicker calls means fewer workers. They often work in really horrible environments, psychologically, and usually have overheads (supervisors listening in and critiqueing them)- often for things other than how they treat the customer. Their goals are not usually the same as the customers. I have been there and know what these MBOS are like (Management By Objective, a Bell Sytsem Managing philosphy which is now widel used all over the world) This is done without your knowledge of which calls it is happeneing on, and you can be faulted for the weirdest things! It's probably not fun to be them, some days, I always start out trying to treat them like a friend, and be personble. It may take a little extra time or effort, but in the end, it is a worthy investment in people!

Archived