Wine cost - FS vs. onboard

Tallyfins

I realize all wines are priced differently, but has anyone compared the Fun Shop price vs the onboard price? I plan to bring 2 bottles in my carry-on and thought about purchasing 2 more to be delivered to my room vs buying them at dinner. Any thoughts? We are going on an 8-day cruise lol, hence the "volume" :)

TIA,

Tallyfins

I realize all wines are priced differently, but has anyone compared the Fun Shop price vs the onboard price? I plan to bring 2 bottles in my carry-on and thought about purchasing 2 more to be delivered to my room vs buying them at dinner. Any thoughts? We are going on an 8-day cruise lol, hence the "volume" :)

TIA,

Tallyfins

Haven't considered that option as we buy the Cruise the Vineyard package, even more volume with a 5-bottle package.

Can't be ordered online, but you can call the Fun Shops’ Department at 1-800-522-7648, 8:00am-10:00pm ET.

3 bottle package: Basic ($77), Deluxe ($97), Premium $114.

5 bottle package: Basic ($131), Deluxe ($135), Premium ($193)

The Premium wine package is available only 5+ day sailings.

We like it because there's no delay waiting on a bar server for a 'glass' of wine. After the first night, the waitstaff expects us to order a bottle and delivers it usually before we order our meal. There's no hassle and we've been known to ask for a bottle at the end of the meal to take back to enjoy in our stateroom. Hence the preference for volume!

TIA,

Tallyfins

We can bring two bottles pp now? I thought it was only one. Just wondering!

Something to consider into the cost comparison, and you probably have already, is that Carnival charges a $15 corkage fee per bottle for wine consumed in the MDR. I think this only applies to wine that you bring on board, not bottles purchased on board, but I could be mistaken. If you consume it in your cabin, room service will bring a corkscrew free of charge (except for tipping), though I would much rather enjoy a fine wine with my meal.

I read that when you board, you can go to the steak house and get as much wine as you want for half price, but only on boarding day. Sounds a big sketchy.....is this true, and on all ships?

DW and I tend to do the steakhouse on night one and yes, they have offered this deal. I assume it is true on all CCL ships with a steakhouse. It's not sketchy really. I think the idea is that by decreasing the mark-up on wine, they get the steakhouse filled up and generating food revenue on the first night when they are not traditionally as busy. If the place is filled that first night, passengers see demand, and are more likely to want to eat there later. They also offer a free bottle of house wine. On one cruise a few years back, they extended the free bottle to the second night. My guess was they were not meeting their sales goals.

Might as well take advantage of the offer, if it's your thing but... Your mileage may vary.