Tuscanybus.com Rome excursion

Joey_L

Has anyone done Tuscanybus.com's Rome Classial Tour? We're doing a Med cruise in September and are hoping to hear from people who have done this excursion to see if it is worthwhile. Thanks.

Hi we came back from Med cruise on Sunday. I believe Tuscany bus sells tickets on behalf of Civitatours. We were going to get the train and got to the station but the metro in Rome itself was on strike so went back to terminal and booked with civitatours. We were going to do the Classical with the guide all the time but I don't think they had other English tourists wanting the full classical so only offered the Panoramic tour. The bus left about 9.40 after they try to get as much business as they can. Tour guide was good and they gave out maps on bus and information. We paid 20 euros extra for the skip the line St Peter's Basilica. Regretted a bit when we got there as the security lines didn't seem too long and were moving quickly but that might have been due to metro being on strike, anyway we had already paid the extra and after waiting for about five/ten minutes went through security and then had to wait about five minutes for a guide. The guide was very good for St Peter's but we didn't get the full hours with her as had to go back to meeting point. Believe if you are doing the classical tour you are with the bus guide the whole time but to be honest we were with her most of the time anyway. We then had a bus tour around rome seeing some highlights. Stopped at the Colisseum for about 15 minutes to take pics. More bus tour of rome and then got off at Trevi fountain and had about an hour and a half to walk to Pantheon, Piazza Navona etc and meet at an arranged meeting place for bus back to ship. I felt the tour gave us a good overview of rome and we saw many sights which whet our appetite for a return.

I compared the Tuscany Bus and Civitatours excursions and they are indeed similar. The discriptions are almost copies and the price is the same. I read a few bad reviews of Civitatours which makes me a bit suspicious, but I read you had a good time with them. Thanks for your reply.

These are the two tours, btw:

http://www.tuscanybus.com/en/classical-tour-rome/

http://www.civitatours.com/en/tours/classical-rome-full-day/

I compared the Tuscany Bus and Civitatours excursions and they are indeed similar. The discriptions are almost copies and the price is the same. I read a few bad reviews of Civitatours which makes me a bit suspicious, but I read you had a good time with them. Thanks for your reply.

These are the two tours, btw:

http://www.tuscanybus.com/en/classical-tour-rome/

http://www.civitatours.com/en/tours/classical-rome-full-day/

I was going to book it with smart cruise tours before we went on the cruise and then after some research found that they and Tuscany bus act as agents for civitatours so are indeed all the same tour. Think someone has posted a review on Tuscany bus or civitatours saying they paid to go with Tuscany bus but was civitatours when they got there. They have agents in yellow tshirts touting their business when you arrive off shuttle bus at drop off so if they have places you can always just book it on the day as we did. We found it good much much cheaper than the ship tours and got to see a lot of Rome, hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Not to hijacking this threat, but there is a tuscany bus tour out of Livorno. Has anyone used them from Livorno? They are offering tour to Lucca and Pissa among other places, and it appears that this is their company.