First Timer Leaving 12/04/05 -- tip advice please!

infinitydec05

I've read some threads about tipping but we're leaving on our first cruise this Sunday:) and I am still confused. We were upgraded to a sky suite on Infinity and I'm told we have a butler. I saw a list of recommended tips on Celebrity.com -- but here's my question: When you ask the butler to bring cappacinos every morning (for example), do you have to tip him every time or is the $3.50 per person/per day covering this? If you order room service, I'm assuming you tip them at the time??? If so, how much? I feel so juvenile asking these questions, but I'm getting nervous that we won't do the right thing (ie tip when we shouldn't or not tip when we should)! Help please!:confused:

Normally your room service order is delivered by your butler. If he is off duty, it will be delivered by which ever butler is on call. I tip the on call butler at time of delivery.

My usual butler, I tip at the end of the trip accordingly. The more I use him, the more I tip.

Normally breakfast will always be delivered by your own butler as well as dinner. It's the in between meals.... or late munching which may be delivered by someone else.

We leave on Monday aboard Galaxy and have a Royal Suite with butler.

In the past, we have sailed Summit in a Royal Suite with butler.

As stated, your butler will deliver room service and if not on duty another butler will deliver. If your butler delivers, do not tip him as that is covered under the $3.50 rule.

Be sure to use your butler as that is what he is there for and what you are paying for by booking a suite. We use our butler extensively for setting up parties in our suite (we travel with 4 other couples) dry cleaning, laundry, shoe shines and anything else we need.

How do we tip him: On Summit we had an incredible butler who was there even before we called him...seemed like he waited outside our door! He was an exemplary employee and couldn't do enough for us. Checked with us each afternoon to take our wine to the dining room for dinner. At the end of our 14 night cruise we tipped him 3 times the suggested tip plus $50. This may be considered over tipping but we thought he deserved it since he did so much for us. The next morning (departure) he brought breakfast to our suite and we had not even ordered any! Normally, you wouldn't see them again after giving the tip.

On the other side of the coin, we were not happy with our stateroom attendant and tipped her less than required. However, we were very happy with the stateroom assistant and tipped him more than required.

It all depends on the service you get from these folks. But important that utilize the butler as you are paying for it. Make sure you have him serve you breakfast on your verandah....that is a wonderful experience to wake up to in the morning.

Have a wonderful cruise! If you want to know anything else, let me know.

Bon Voyage!!!

Thanks for the great info. Ronhow, you said your butler would take your wine to dinner for you. Did you bring the wine with you when you boarded? I've read different things on this-- ie will they confiscate it? is it ok to do or is it against the rules?

Thanks again!:)

Celebrity is one of the few lines that allow you to bring wine aboard.

We pack it in our luggage and wrap them up in T shirts to cusion them...never had a problem with breakage. You may also carry it on and they will not confiscate it. I know people who have brought cases on and no problem. We take about 8 bottles as we entertain in our suite.

If you send it to the dining room, tell your butler your table number and he will simply take it to the wine somelier who will serve it to you. There is a corkage fee of $15 per bottle which also covers the tip, if you send to dining room.

They frown on your bringing liquor aboard and probably will confiscate if they see it.

Your butler will serve it to you in your suite, one of the things he is to do for you.

You have to be soooooooo excited as this is your first cruise. You have certainly made a wonderful choice with Celebrity, especially the ship you are on...we were on sister ship Summitt which was AWESOME and INCREDIBLE, so your in for an unbelievable experience.

Our first cruise many years ago was on Carnival and this is about our 14th. We've been on Costa, Norweigan and Royal and although they are all good and from time to time we will sail with them (not Carnival), Celebrity is the classiest and BEST of them all.

Also, the fact that you were upgraded to a Sky Suite on your first cruise is A SIGN! You are truly very LUCKY to have had that happen, especially on that ship. We book a Royal Suite, so no chance of getting upgraded. Our friends that travel with us ALWAYS book a Sky Suite and they love it.

Make sure you go to the Spa for lunch...excellent. Belgian Waffle station in the morning is INCREDIBLE. Salad bar at lunch in buffet...excellent.

Sushi bar good too, if you like sushi.

You are on a long cruise as we are. If you don't want to get dressed one night and want to be casual, go up to the Cafe. Has menu service and very good.

Shows are top notch. Don't miss Celebrity Dancers and Singers shows...they are the best!

Let me know if you need anything else before you go.

Bon Voyage!!

Ronhow, THANK YOU so much for the info! I am very grateful for CC and the helpful advice to us newbies! We are leaving on Sunday morning for San Diego and I'm still in disbelief in a way...we have three young children and I'm not use to leaving them for such a long time. However, I'm excited at the opportunity to relax, eat great food, read a book,etc. My dh suggested that we take a cruise and I was, at first, totally resistant. (generally speaking, I don't like big crowds and I get motion sickness pretty easily). I'm taking some meds and praying for a smooth ride!:o

Thanks again!

Archived