Skeet shooting

In 91 my brother and I did it on the Dawn Princess. I also remember it occurring on the Starward in 91. That was the last time.

Two things probably happened. Newer ships do not have the areas dedicated the older ships had. Plus the environmentalists probably brought pressure or the lines became concerned about polluting the ocean. With the concern about people throwing cig butts over the edge, I doubt we will see it again.

Hey folks. I have a great idea for this post 9-11 world.

Let's get 2000 or 3000 people on a cruise ship, give them plenty of drinks, then put them out on a moving deck with loaded shotguns and see what happens!! This ought to be loads of fun. Might also increase my chances for a free upgrade (empty cabins might be coming up any minute)

Lets have responsible adults act as such and quit over controlling everyones elses life besides our own. Educate ,don't regulate because you are uncapable or scared to learn about something or don't trust your own self to be able to handle the responsibility.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

So the US Congress is currently having hearings on how to prevent drunks and idiots from jumping overboard on Cruise Ships and you have never seen anyone acting foolish...........................

You should talk to the Hotel Manager next time you cruise:

1. At least one domestic dispute (involving violence) every cruise.

2. At least 2 "sleepwalkers" urinating/ defacating in public every cruise.

3. At least 3 drunks with broken bones every cruise.

4. Countless children running wild (where are their parents?), throwing things overboard, waking Guests, holding elevator races, vandalizing suitcases.

5. At least 2 drug "busts" every cruise.

Maybe we can give the loaded shotguns to some of these responsible people???

Let's see if I have the figures correct. I count AT LEAST 8 total incidents every cruise (plus the kids?). If my math is correct that would be .4% of a 2000 passenger cruise. Yes, that's a great reason to discontinue something others enjoy. And I meant that I had never witnessed anyone acting foolish while enjoying this sport. Plenty of foolishness in general, but so what.

The congressional hearings are not being held to keep drunks from jumping overboard. They ARE being held to examine the cruise industry in general and the way they handle major crimes commited on board. They ARE examining the statistics of rapes and violent crimes and the policies that are in place to handle these situations.

Loaded shotguns were only handed over to passengers that the 2 staff members running the activity found acceptable. Drunk passengers were obviously not welcome and were turned away.

I loved skeet shooting. Well, I never actually tried it, but I enjoyed watching others. There was only one participant permitted at a time -- under the watchful eyes of at least two crew members -- and those not participating were kept at a safe distance.

The last time I saw skeet shooting was in 2000 on a cruise-to-nowhere on ss SeaBreeze. Prior to that, it had been at least a half-dozen years or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so when did Michael Moore start using "Bruce Muzz" as an alias? I could have predicted that comment came from a resident of Maryland, Massachusetts or California. There's nothing so near sighted as punishing the masses due to the "feared" antics of the few.

As for the "Post 9-11" argument, please......... Didn't mean to offend you, Bruce, now go get me some more ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband likes to skeet shot and he was able to do so on the Mardi Gras on our honeymoon 20 years ago. Unfortunately for him, he was a better shoot then the instructor-hubby was able to shoot multiple pigeons, instructor could not-and instructor would not allow him to shoot again during the session. He still had a great time and wishes he could still enjoy this activity on our vacations, but the world events seem to provent it. Better safe then sorry. Happy Cruising!

I think skeet shooting and golf ball driving have gone the way of the dinosaurs due to environmental concerns only.

I thought that the skeets were made of clay. No? If they were, there should be no hazard to the water, fish or any part of the environment.

My husband was also hoping to shot skeet but didn't figure that they would offer it. He & our son shoot skeet at his mother's farm. I think that there may be some toxin or something in the clays. They use to shoot where the cows sometimes grazed & had to stop because the broken pieces were making the cows ill if they accidentily ingested any. They now shoot only in non-grazing fields.

• 2 weeks later...

CruisingFever -- Paintball!?! :D LOL

Last I remember skeet shooting was while aboard NCL's Starward, Sept 94. It was closely monitored and controlled by the first officer. (What a terrific genteleman he was! ;) ) Non- participants were kept at a distance, but were able to watch. There were a very small group of people involved.

Archived